New to N. kaiseri, possible breeding setup

Willlis

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Keith
Hey all, I got 2 N. kaiseri from a guy who had cooled them this winter and allowed them to warm up for the last month but left them with only some shallow water access. The one looks like a male with characteristic cloaca swelling, the other i'm not sure about. I believe they are only about 2 years old so not sure if they are too young but I figured I'd go ahead and try and put them in a breeding setup just in case I could still get something out of them this season. Please let me know what you think.
willlis-albums-general-picture21991-101-1580.jpg

willlis-albums-general-picture21993-101-1586.jpg

willlis-albums-general-picture21992-101-1583.jpg

When i am breeding kaiseri i leave the lights off in the aquarium and just use the natural light in the room, they dont seem to keen on bright lights. Set up looks fine, i just cant seen if the pump inlet is covered, i put a pice of pipe in the inlet with a fine cotton mesh bag over it to stop any accidents with eggs or larvae.

Good luck with breeding.

Good to know about the lights. Got the intake covered with some fine mesh all ready but thanks for the reminder. Looks like I might have some progress too, because the "female" now has some cloacal swelling but it doesnt look like the males, much more volcano like as the care sheet describes. They have also both been in the water all day today instead of up on the rock and log like they were the first day.

I guess they aprove, found this one while doing a water change :D found two other jellies without eggs. I don't think this one is any good but pulled it and set it up anyways just in case. I'll look for any larvae tonight after lights out.
willlis-albums-general-picture22175-1stkaiseregg.jpg

P.S. I now appreciate how difficult it is to get a good egg shot! I hereby retract all those critical thoughts I've had about other peoples egg pictures.:rolleyes:

So they have been laying duds, but now it looks like I have some development taking place in three eggs. Anyone give me an idea on how long to hatch these guys out? The water temp is between 72F-78F. Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back