Neurergus keepers, How do you keep yours?

Davo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Martin
Having kept Neurergus Kaiseri for a few years, i was wondering how others keep their Neurergus.
I have always kept the N.Kaiseri in terrestrial set ups until they mature then introduce them to the water for breeding, after breeding they are returned to the terrestrial set ups.

After reading that some keep N.Kaiseri and N.Strauchii aquatic all year, i was thinking if they also keep other Neurergus ( Crocatus, Microspilotus, Derjugini) aquatic all year.

Any information on set ups and breeding success would be very helpful. :happy:

Your question summarizes the answer: some people do keep them aquatic all year (including juveniles), with breeding success with the adults. I do this with N. strauchii. I can't say if it is the best method - some people believe it isn't.

I have two groups of N. crocatus at the moment. One group is fully aquatic, the other terrestrial. Both are doing well and growing at a similar rate.

My kaiseri are in an aquatic set up with a large floating land area with plants and hiding places on it.
land area is very rarely used.

Strauchii were at first in a semi aquatic set up, but after not using the land for over a year, i raised the water level to submerge tha land area.

rather than starting another thread, i am going to add a question to this one.

Do any of you keep and breed your kaiseri in an aquatic set up with no live plants?
I have kept and bred lots of newt species this way in the past, but am not sure if kaiseri would lay eggs without live plants being present

rather than starting another thread, i am going to add a question to this one.

Do any of you keep and breed your kaiseri in an aquatic set up with no live plants?
I have kept and bred lots of newt species this way in the past, but am not sure if kaiseri would lay eggs without live plants being present

I breed kaiseri without any plants at all. They lay all the eggs on the rocks and I haven't noticed any problems yet with it.

Mine have quit a lot of plants, java moss, anubias, elodea, they do lay eggs in the plants, but also lay on the filter inlet, on rocks and on the underside of the cork bark island.
Also in the past i have said that my Kaiseri dont like the lights, i take it back, the juvs i have reared this time love the lights being on and feed and have laid eggs with the lights on and seem very bold and confident. :happy:
I will try and film the set up and post it here.

whoops, i did last post while in one of my confused states lol so didnt make it clear what I was asking, let me re write it.

I know that kaiseri lay eggs on surfaces other than live aquatic plants, but do any of you find through experience that they will be happy enough to breed when kept in a more basic aquatic set up consisting of just rocks and wood.
I am sick of problems with planaria,no matter how many gravel cleans and water changes I do, planaria numbers just rise, so am redesigning the set up with bare bottom, and no live plants to try sort the problem.

My Kaiseri tank is bare bottom for the same reason. My plants are tied to rocks and some just free floating. I also have 2 large plastic plants that are on suckers and stick to the glass of the tank, they also lay eggs on these.
I think the Kaiseri will breed without plants as long as they have the caves to hide in and lay eggs on.

I keep mine aquatic year round. I used to transfer my adults to terrestrial set-up during the summer, but the last few years I have just kept them aquatic. I did try rearing one group of juvies aquatic, while raising another group terrestrial. The aquatic animals grew faster, and seemed overall healthier. I do have plants in some of my kaiseri tanks. The tanks without plants, I will throw is some filter sponge, and they will readily lay eggs in that.

Greetings And Salutations,

I keep my N.kaiseri in a paludarium. The enclosure has 40/60 land to water ratio. They almost never leave the water. I have kept them in this fashion for the last eight months. They are approximately nine months of age.

Farewell,

Hi.

I think all of my adult aquatil Neurergus ( N. crocatus, strauchii, kaiseri, microspilotus, derjugini). The young animals i have the first 2 years terrestrial. It works very well.
All animals live without plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back