Odd color morph?

For me, I of my GFP Wild and Leucy for the "cool" science factor. Outside of that...I think I used the light three times briefly to see it/show the effect to a med school friend.

Don't get me wrong - GFP is out there and we have to deal with it. It's just a case of managing it. Maybe a blacklight flashlight would be kinder if you want to see it glow so you can shine if from behind or down its tail (like I do with my goldens' iridophores) without bright lights in it's face. But the video I saw featured kids (teenagers) laughing and the axie and turning the lights on and off to make it react :nono:. There is no excuse for owners treating their pets that way.

I can't have a GFP - they aren't allowed in the UK (it's a GMO thing) - but even if I could I wouldn't want one. But I know they are readily available in th USA, and are becoming more common because of the nature of the gene itself is dominant.

Back on topic: that website referred to by the OP has been discussed - and trashed - on a few occasions on here for its bad info and high prices - avoid it, and buy from a local breeder (or at least a reputable one from here)

GFP occurs in almost every cell in a GFP axie, it has been suggested that when exposed to UV light the INSIDES of an axies eyes glow as well as skin - no wonder they get a bit 'uncomfortable'. And axies have no eyelids to portect them - they can't even close their eyes to stop it. I saw a video on youtube of a GFP axie neaarly knocking itself out on the sides of the tank having a real panic attack under UV light - very upsetting to see.

It´s no suggestion, you can literally see the interior of the eyeball being lit up.
I personally think that exposing GFP axolotls to UV light for fun is not ethically justifiable (doing so is essentially an admission that you care more about the cool fluorescent effect than you do about your pet), even more so when it´s morphs like leucistics which have no protection against the radiation.

The GFP gene is expressed in different levels of intensity so it is possible to have a bunch of GFP axolotls where ones barely show a very slight tint and others look like the ones in the pictures that have been posted.

Ok thanks guys I'm just going to buy a gfp gold albino axie and I'm only going to use the black light for research purposes as it allows a good view of the blood flow and I would love to find out more about axies.

Buy-axolotls burned us pretty bad. We shipped them 50-60 axolotl. They had only ordered 50 from us and we sent extras thinking that it would be a good investment for future sales. The owner claimed only 40 arrived and demanded a refund for the "missing" quantity. Cutting our loses we refunded the $30. Within 24 hours he pulled the whole payment through his credit card. In the end, we paid him to take a lot of 50 axolotl. If you are thinking of buying an axolotl from him, please just buy from the breeders he has burned. They will give you a better price for the same axolotl you would purchase from him.

Buy-axolotls burned us pretty bad. We shipped them 50-60 axolotl. They had only ordered 50 from us and we sent extras thinking that it would be a good investment for future sales. The owner claimed only 40 arrived and demanded a refund for the "missing" quantity. Cutting our loses we refunded the $30. Within 24 hours he pulled the whole payment through his credit card. In the end, we paid him to take a lot of 50 axolotl. If you are thinking of buying an axolotl from him, please just buy from the breeders he has burned. They will give you a better price for the same axolotl you would purchase from him.

Yeah I bought from a breeder on here instead.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back