Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New owner (cycling help)

NaterPotater

Reaction score
They'll be fine with nothing. Just de-chlorinated water. It's kind of tempting to put a plant or a PVC pipe or something in there in case they get "bored", but it would be best to leave plants and hides in the tank while it's cycling so that some of those nitrifying bacteria can colonize on them as well. Most of the bacteria will colonize in the filter media and in the filter itself, but at least a small amount will live on plants, on rocks, and pretty much anywhere with a decent amount of surface area. That's why, in addition to my good old hang-on-back power filter, I have a pretty big sea sponge in my tank (held down with a rock that I stuffed inside). It provides a huge amount of surface area for bacteria but it doesn't get super dirty since there's not water being pulled into it. Plus, it looks nice, and my axolotls like to climb on it!

Eoiee

Reaction score
They'll be fine with nothing. Just de-chlorinated water. It's kind of tempting to put a plant or a PVC pipe or something in there in case they get "bored", but it would be best to leave plants and hides in the tank while it's cycling so that some of those nitrifying bacteria can colonize on them as well. Most of the bacteria will colonize in the filter media and in the filter itself, but at least a small amount will live on plants, on rocks, and pretty much anywhere with a decent amount of surface area. That's why, in addition to my good old hang-on-back power filter, I have a pretty big sea sponge in my tank (held down with a rock that I stuffed inside). It provides a huge amount of surface area for bacteria but it doesn't get super dirty since there's not water being pulled into it. Plus, it looks nice, and my axolotls like to climb on it!

That's a really good idea! I'm going to go check the pet shops here for one! I'll keep it empty just feel kind of bad for the little guys and don't want to be cruel because it's all my fault :eek:

MoniWonton

Reaction score
They seem fine overall, gills are small but the same as they were in the pet shop no changes as of yet and appetite is good fed them worms and bloodworms last night and everything was pretty much eaten. I was a little worried about the golden albino as he wasn't moving much but I put that down to needing to settle in after the move, leucistic is much more active.

The seachem products id have to order online as they don't seem commonly available here. I'm very restricted on space here as I share an apartment with one other. Plenty of room for the tank but I'd have to take up more room with containers which I'm not sure if I can. If I order the seachem online should I do water changes daily while I wait as I mentioned I have to wait for the kit as well so I'm paranoid it'll spike and I won't know. And adding the stuff won't hurt my little guys while in the water!!

No it won't hurt them if dosed correctly! Prime comes highly recommended from many hobbyist websites. As for Stability, like Chris said, its validity is debatable. However, it came highly recommended to be by an experienced hobbyist, and my tank cycled in three weeks. Maybe it had no true effect on the ammonia, but I don't have a control to compare results to. I felt like it was helpful. Happy cycling!:happy:

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Some spare fake plants or small ornaments could be good for security, they like to wedge themselves between things and hide. The containers look perfect!

Eoiee

Reaction score
Some spare fake plants or small ornaments could be good for security, they like to wedge themselves between things and hide. The containers look perfect!

Yay glad you think so. Ill probably get some pipping or something for them to hide in their containers that I won't use for the tank, I'll leave them bare now for the time being. The container are just under 16degrees atm and the tank is just under 19 degrees should I wait for the containers to warm a little more before I put them in?

Eoiee

Reaction score
Yes it is better to try keep the water at the same temperature to not cause thermal shock or stress

Tank was actually 20 so match with containers, just put them in today and they seem good, ate straight afterwards and are now in a shaded area on my desk with the fan on lightly.

Ordered prime to use from now on and got some stability just to try, can't hurt atleast. Kit due tomorrow so hopefully it comes so I can start testing. Fed the tank a little today to get the ball rolling!

NaterPotater

Reaction score
That's a really good idea! I'm going to go check the pet shops here for one! I'll keep it empty just feel kind of bad for the little guys and don't want to be cruel because it's all my fault :eek:

Thanks! haha. If I remember correctly, I thought of it myself. I got one on Amazon. Rinsed and soaked it for a little bit, then ripped a hole just big enough to stuff a rock inside so it wouldn't float :)

Eoiee

Reaction score
Test kit came today and did my first test it showed

Ammonia 1-2 ppm (colour was between the two)
Nitrites 0.25 ppm
Nitrates 0-5ppm (was definitely orange just a tad weaker than full 5ppm)

Also was curious of my ph as wasn't sure how tap water was but its just under 7.4 (around 7.2-7.4) so that's reassuring to know.

Had been feeding it prior and using stability but nice to see some progress atleast!

Scully(leucistic) and mulder(golden albino) are doing good eating straight after water changes in their containers and showing no signs of stress so all in all I'm feeling a bit more relieved about everything so thank you to everyone for getting me started.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Sounds good, seems like there is bacteria established to complete the full cycle since you have readings of Nitates. Best to test your tap water to see if it holds any ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates as that can throw your test results off.

Your now going to want to slowly raise your ammonia to about 4.0ppm and once your cycle can convert this through to Nitrates then you should be cycled. Make sure to perform water changes to keep the Nitrates bellow 40ppm.

Good to hear your Axolotls are doing well!

Eoiee

Reaction score
Sounds good, seems like there is bacteria established to complete the full cycle since you have readings of Nitates. Best to test your tap water to see if it holds any ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates as that can throw your test results off.

Your now going to want to slowly raise your ammonia to about 4.0ppm and once your cycle can convert this through to Nitrates then you should be cycled. Make sure to perform water changes to keep the Nitrates bellow 40ppm.

Good to hear your Axolotls are doing well!

Tested the tap water separately and it shows 0 of each so that's good. Tested the tank today and it looks like it's 2ppm 0.25ppm 5-10ppm! (Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates)

My guys didn't eat today just spit out the worms, I think it might be to do with me giving them bloodworms and brine shrimp after their worms yesterday and left it there for over night and I could see a lot was eaten, I'm putting it down to they're not hungry but should I be worried??

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Keep dosing ammonia as it goes down to keep feeding the cycle, your results are looking good.

There's a chance your Axolotls don't like the smell of the worms, one of mine sometimes spits them out every now and then. Try running them under hot water and then cold water, this should kill the worm stopping it from releasing any foul smelling secretions. Keep trying the worms, and perhaps try cutting them into smaller pieces

Eoiee

Reaction score
Okay I'm getting a little paranoid now but my results from water testing have been the exact same for 8 days now.

It constantly shows my water has 2ppm Ammonia, 0.25 ppm nitrites and 5ppm. This has been constant for the whole time.

I tested my tap water to make sure it didn't contain anything and it showed a presence of 0 for all so it's definitely not that.

I have 9 plants in the tank could the readings becoming from them and I don't have any bacteria present in the water which is why it isn't changing? I don't expect a cycle in 8 days but no changes seems very strange especially if there's Nitrates present.

I also make sure I do the tests correctly and to the times specified so I'm not just doing them wrong. Any advice???

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
I can only suggest patients. If your doing everything as you should then it's just a matter of time until the cycle shows some changes in your test results. The plants should only absorb nitrAte and not affect the other test results, cycles don't always go as planned, those ammonia levels should drop as the nitrite rises

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!