Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axolotls gills look too small

PrincessGlimmer

Reaction score
Hi everyone, My axolotl Ziggy's gills don't look very feathery is that bad?
Also I thought it might be better if I put him in a bigger tank with a filter.
I did put him in with a filter and his gills look a little better now.
I was wondering if it could have been that his water was too dirty or maybe it was genetic.
One of my other axolotl gills aren't very feathery either though so I am not sure.

Does anyone know?
Any opinions would be welcome,
Thank you. :eek:

tundrabadger

Reaction score
It could be a lot of things, including genetic..One of mine has longer gills than the other two (disproportionately, taking in to account she's also the biggest), the other two have rather fluffier gills than she does. That being said, if you're concerned there's nothing wrong with being cautious, so could you tell us what your water parameters are looking like and do you have pictures?

tundrabadger

Reaction score
Pics are easy. You go up to the top of the page and you'll see where it says albums and galleries. You can upload pictures there and then link to them in your post.

Testing the water is also easy! there are kits for testing, the API freshwater master test kit is particularly good and can test for pretty much everything you need to know, aside from temperature. It's a good idea to test your water anyhow, and if anything seems to be wrong knowing your parameters can help you know how to set it to rights. Temperature is important to know so if you don't have one I recommend getting a thermometer.

Did you cycle the tank before putting him in?

tundrabadger

Reaction score
Okay then. Just remember, cold is good. And I really can't reccomend the API test kit enough, it's a good thing to have, it's never a bad idea to test your parameters.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!