Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with fridging

Justtiffy

Reaction score
I think I need to fridge my poor axl... his floating is getting worse and I can’t seem to get the nitrates in my tank under control...he’s very stressed and I’m super worried. How do I change the water daily without moving him a bunch and causing more stress?? Also will a net work in a small container and aren’t hands bad for them??

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Here's the in depth fridging guide: https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85263
Fridging is usually the fix for floating, so hopefully it helps! Also it'll keep your axie safe while you get the nitrates under control.
Have 2 tubs for fridging. He will be in one for a day, then the next day set up the new tub (keep dechlorinated water in the same fridge so it's the same temp) and pop him in. Then you can clean the first tub ready for the next day.
A super fine net is probably the best way to transport axies, but I personally find it easier using my hands (sanitised). It does depend on the axolotl as well. My wildtype is fine with me using my hands but my copper doesn't like it so I use a net with him. As long as your hands are super clean (any parts going in the water needs to be sanitised), you're gentle and using both hands it's okay. You want to especially watch for their gills. If you're not comfortable using your hands then a net is great!

Justtiffy

Reaction score
He snuggled right into my daughters hands when she moved him it was actually really cute!!! I’m feeling better about everything!!!

Justtiffy

Reaction score
So I fought and fought with my fridge and have it turned as warm as possible but this morning his water was at 40 degrees. Is this too cold? What else can I do? I am at such a loss

Justtiffy

Reaction score
OK- I need some major help here.. I had my daughter test the fridge container water after school and now its at 35.... there is definitely something strange with my fridge but any time i mess with it it freezes and gets too cold.. i dont know what to do except put him back in the tank! im so worried!!! just tested the tank perimeters.. temp and levels are good.. should i just re-acclimate him??

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Those temps are super low, but it seemed to have worked so you don't need to fridge now. I still wouldn't put him in the tank but you can keep him in a tub and change that water daily (100%, just have a second tub to switch between each day). Make sure the top is covered so the axolotl doesn't jump out. It's fine to keep an axolotl tubbed while fixing the tank :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1