Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ocean Nutrition-Frozen Gammarus

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so in my search for information on culturing gammarids indoors, i came across this product. I already know the company, and i use their frozen bloodworms with good results. I´ve always heard that liofilized gammarus are awful...and are barely useful as a part of a varied diet. I´m assuming that frozen gammarus are quite better. Since i don´t expect my gammarid culture to be harvestable for months(provided i succeed), i´m hoping to get my hands on some of these frozen ones to use as part of the diet for my animals, but first i thought i´d post here and see if anyone has had experience with this product.
It´s always better to check xD

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well, the bloodworms are the typical midge larvae that pretty much everyone uses.
The Gammarus are a type of crustacean, an amphipode(usually called scuds), that can live either in freshwater or salt water depending on species. The ones usually used are Gammarus pulex, which are freshwater animals, and an ideal food for newts. They are very nutritious, and rich in carotenes, therefore they are superb for enhancing yellow/orange/red colours in amphibians. The only drawback is that wild ones are vectors for parasites, so it´s not wise to use them. That´s the reason why i´m trying to culture them, to obtain parasite free scuds.

Critter Mom

Reaction score
Aha! Thanks! You have clarified things up a bit for me now. I have been using bloodworms for a while now, but did not realize that they were midge larvae. I had no idea what the scuds, or gammarus were that you had also written about. I might have to look for the frozen kind in the store if they are appropriate for adult C. Orientalis.

Your clarification was much appreciated, so thanks again!:happy:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
No problem...always happy to help :)

Gammarids(scuds) are extremely wide-spread. They are almost omnipresent in any healthy water mass. They are a big part of the diet of many wild caudates, and i´m sure your C.orientalis will love them.

I just created this post in case anyone had experience with the product and had something to say about it(good or bad)..you know, just in case, but i´m pretty confident they are a good choice for any aquatic caudate´s diet(live is always best, but frozen should be decent enough, just like bloodworms).

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I haven´t been able to. No petshop here will order it for me so i can only get them online and in order to do that i need to do a significant purchase of blisters, which i can´t do because i´m poor as a rat. The plan is definitely there, waiting to happen when i have a chance xD

OZIRIS

Reaction score
LoL! jeje No shop there with ocean nutrition is strange...Even here we have ocean nutrition food!!!

Perhaps I'll buy one, if the newts won't eat it, turtles will.

Regards

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That´s the annoying thing, there are ocean nutrition products! My bloodworms are from that brand, but for some reason when i ask if they could order some gammarus when they do their next ocean nutrition order, they just tell me they´ll look into it and next time they just say there weren´t any. Talk about good service....

Yahilles

Reaction score
I fed frozen gammarids (not exactly from ocean nutrition, but in blisters too), and my animals barely liked them. Paramesotriton hongkongensis ate them with no visible appetite, and a Pachytriton ate them fed from tweezers, but only for some time. It seems like i tried with two types - very small ones (<5mm) which have been eaten by DCF and orientalis, and big ones (~2cm) which i fed mostly to the paddletail. I don't think that frozen gammarus from other source will be more appreciated... better stick to the live ones.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
better stick to the live ones.

Yeah, if only i could culture them xD
A friend of mine has had similar results as you. His animals only eat a few of the scuds and leave the rest. They don´t seem to find them quite as irresistible as we thought they would.
Mind you, his animals also do the same with pellets, while most of mine eat them well. I´ll see if i can give the frozen scuds a try some time and see how my animals like them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1