Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Will they eat a pleco?

marksuttonjr

Reaction score
I recently got 2 axolotls. I won 1 in a drawing, and purchased a 2nd. I was told not to keep any fish with them, however I put both axolotls in a 29 gal with a pleco about the same length they were. I figured that a pleco would be armored enough that it would be OK. I buit a few caves out of rock and driftwood, and everything was doing great together. Sometime last night or today the pleco disappeared. I took everything out of the tank except the axolotls, and found no sign of the pleco. I also searched the room. No sign that the pleco was ever there. Last time I saw it was 3PM yesterday, and by 4PM today it was gone

Skudo09

Reaction score
It can surprising how much an axolotl can fit in its mouth. Plecos can hide very well also. Regardless, it is not a good idea to keep plecos with axolotls. Apart from their different requirements, plecos can cause damage to the axolotl's slime coat. Fish can sometimes introduce disease and parasites. If you do happen to find the pleco, it would be best to re-house the pleco separately.

Kirzzin

Reaction score
Agreed,
Also, your axie tank shouldn't be warm enough to produce algae and a stable environment for a pleco and your axies are carnivorous, its not good for them to eat the same type of food as the pleco.

marksuttonjr

Reaction score
I only put the pleco in there to clean up algae that I introduced to the tank. When i set it up a week ago I added drift wood, and large rocks from my cichlid tank for decor and to seed the tank with good BB. I did not plan on leaving the pleco in there long term. I was just surprised that it vanished. Like I said I figured that it was armored plenty well that they could not eat it. They are around 4" and it was slightly larger. Maybe 4 1/4" to 4 1/2". I guess it was a lesson learned.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1