Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My croc newts( T.h, E.a, T.s and T.v)

J

jennifer

If my response seemed rude, that was not my intent. I was expressing my true reaction at seeing an endangered species (E.a.) in poor condition. On a gut level, I am revolted at the thought of any endangered species being sold as pets. The animal pictured on the cigarette lighter looks to be about 10 cm. If it really is CB, that's wonderful, and I'd be very much happier.

I certainly don't condemn people for taking an interest in such animals - we're all in that boat. However, there are a lot of questionable practices (both legally and ethically) in this hobby, and we all need to give that some thought.

T

turbo

every year in the summer,there are over 1000 T.S , 1000/ T.K , 1000T.T, 1000T.W and 1000T.T and T.A in the hk animals market, and the shop keeper is my friend, so i usually the first one to choose them out of that 1000.so i could always have the special colour animals

however, hk people seem don't like keeping newts and salamander very much so where are the other 5000 croc newts goes every year?

most of them are going to Europe...so how many they can breed and not die within a month ? i don't know ~

P

patrick

Hi Turbo chan,

That are some beautiful pictures off your animals!
I wish you succes with these species i hope they will gett big and breed!

@ Gord ellis about what you say:

>How many of us would NOT buy these creatures if they turned up in a shop,and seemed destined for certain death?<

You are tottaly right..if you see THOSE species in a tank in a petshop very ill and maybe dying i think many of us will buy them ( i would) the chance that you could save those animals is big and maybe they will breed someday.

Turbo chan good luck with your beautiful animals!
I wish you all the luck in the world with them.

Best Wishes,
Patrick

F

foster

Those are nice animals. At the risk of straddling the fence here I agree with what has already been said. For infection control reasons however I personally would be concerned with posing the different species together. I wish you the best of luck with them.
Chip

E

erik

I have bred Echinotriton for a few years now and I am pretty sure the ones pictured are cb.

I do know that CB Echinotriton (from a hobbyist in Japan) have been available in HK in the past, though at very high prices.

H

henk

Well Erik, last 2 years E. andersoni was bred in Germany too. Saw some again this year but prices were a bit out of my league ;-). Instead I acquired some of those "bluish" T. verrucosus

But the pictures are very nice indeed and I have never seen a shot of an as colorfull shanjing, even the non special one has a very bright color !!

Well I'll nurse mine better and hope they will get as nice as these !

R

rachel

What is the usual care of E. andersoni. I know that there are none in zoos, but some are considering setting up breeding programs for it. Would love to know more about their needs.

Thanks

wouter

Reaction score
Rachel, I know Cincinatti has them, I believe some zoo's in Germany too. The care is the same as the Tylototriton species, only difference is that they lay their eggs on moist land, near the water.

Turbo Chan, really nice to see a T. taliangensis with orange on the dorso-lateral parts... I've never seen that before!

R

rachel

Well, as my shanjing laid their eggs on land then I suppose that I would have no problems then...LOL}

E

edward

There should also be E. andersoni at the Zoos in Detroit, St Louis, Audobon, Houston, Bronx, Providence and Buffalo.

Ed

TJ

Reaction score
I didn't notice this thread until now...
smile6.gif

It's not surprising that animal dealers profess to have acquired through legal means the Echinotriton and other caudates they have for sale. But as pointed out by somebody already, most if not all Chinese newts and salamanders arriving in Hong Kong arrive there through illicit means. So in a sense, possession by somebody in Hong Kong of E. andersoni, which is protected locally in Japan but not internationally under CITES, is not so different from somebody in Europe or America possessing T. taliangensis or other such species that is supposedly extended protection under Chinese law but is not protected under international law.

About there being a hobbyist in Japan breeding E. andersoni for sale abroad, maybe Erik knows this for a fact, maybe it's hearsay -- I just don't know. What I can say is that the serious hobbyist community here in Japan is really pretty small, so it'd have to be somebody who is really in the closet about it. I know people who breed E. andersoni, there's <u>no way</u> they would be selling the offspring overseas, much less locally. So while I can't dismiss that possibility, I do know that E. andersoni <u>are</u> fairly regularly smuggled out of Japan to Hong Kong. Can't say how I know this, but I do know this, and from an authoritative source.

(Message edited by TJ on November 08, 2006)

R

rachel

About the zoos, I stand corrected, sorry.
I looked on isis.org but somehow, have no clue how, I missed them...

A

alex

wow, they are fantastic!!!

jennifer, from your contribution:

>On a gut level, I am revolted at the thought of any endangered species being sold as pets.<

all i can say is that i have been breeding tropical fish for years, literally, since i have been 7 or so years old, and in the last 4 years i have strived to own the rarest of rare and endangered fish, purely for the following reason:

if you breed them, and sell them to hobbyists, then it puts pressure of wild stocks.

endangered or not, people will continue to want them, and even if they are illegal to import, it will be done.

because of this, the only way that it can be stopped is by hobbyists like me to breed them, and thus putting pressure off the wild stocks.

i have though, never owned illegal species(just to clarify, only endangered or rare lol)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!