Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tylototriton verrucosus

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
A little while ago, the golden T. verr passed away. It had spells of not eating and generally seeming not quite right for a while. I shall miss it.

Attachments

• 20150815_191522.jpg
    20150815_191522.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 522

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no, sorry to hear that Julia. :( I'll miss him too with his tiny feet and big appetite. Even though there was something very wrong with his genes he was very photogenic, who knows, maybe your adults will throw another one that's similar but with better health next time they lay eggs.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Every now and then, I have a larva manage to survive and grow in the tank with the adults. So far it's only one at a time..no idea how they do it as the adults are monsters. The larva are fearless and at feeding time they are right in the thick of it. How they escape the psycho parents is a miracle...they are normally chasing each other away and biting each other.

Attachments

• 20170113_203822.jpg
    20170113_203822.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 478
  • 20170113_203711.jpg
    20170113_203711.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 486
  • 20170113_202622.jpg
    20170113_202622.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 499

evut

Reaction score
The picture of the little guy made me go "Aw!" but then I read what you wrote about the adults and the memories of the huge monsters staring at me from the tank and trying to eat each other came flooding back...

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine are pretty good with the larvae, they will gladly eat eggs though. As you say, the adults are brutal with each other, especially at feeding time and still try the old swallowing each others tail trick from time to time.

ntny

Reaction score
hi Juila
may i ask are these consider the "light variant" or "dark variant" T.verrucosus?
i have 2 juveniles looks the same as yours in the pictures
they have orange limbs and tails, the head has 2 orange glands too.
but mine doesnt have the orange spots on the body flanks though...
thanks

Two more pictures for you :happy:
Eva.....I am going to try really really hard not to get anything else, but you know me well enough to know I will fail.
They are currently in an aquarium with soil moss and a large sunk water bowl. They merrily hop into the water and then cleverly hide ....they blend in beautifully with the soil :rolleyes:

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Hi these are the dark type. The light type are believed to be also confused with shanjing but are highly aquatic in breeding season (I have both types). The type on caudata culture (light variant) has been sold on the continent as a form of shanjing but isn’t as hydrophobic as true shanjing (if there is such a thing) .
What I do know is there are at least 4animals probably more that look like shanjing or variant 3 Tylototriton verrucosus. With whatever is what to still be correctly clarified.
The light variant have a triangular verruca in a triangle shape at the beginning of the verruca chain on their side ,if I can accomplish loading some pictures on here I will.
The Austrian I got mine from has kept both types of shanjing that breed on land and water.
The light variant /verrucosus/Shanjing breed in the water, my group are now in the water but no eggs yet but plenty tail fanning

mr cyclone

Reaction score
These are the fellas

Attachments

• 91B829FD-E10A-46F9-9D42-F002B28A571F.png
    91B829FD-E10A-46F9-9D42-F002B28A571F.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 412
  • CB521A64-87F5-47AF-88B7-84FB7974B22E.png
    CB521A64-87F5-47AF-88B7-84FB7974B22E.png
    757.7 KB · Views: 419

ntny

Reaction score
Hi Andy, Mr cyclone,
thanks for advice,
yes this family has many sub-species, quite confusing. i suspect the dark variant maybe Tylototriton shanorum from Paul's website
http://www.salamanderseiten.de/tylototriton/verrucosus/tytototriton_verrucosus.html
i think mine are the "dark variant" which i suppose are easier to keep.:D
the smaller fellow is fully aquatic today. :D the slightly larger one still on land floating dock.
may i know if a simple zoomed floating dock is adequate for them or do i need to make a 50/50 ratio semi-aquatic terrarium.
thanks
These are the fellas

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Sorry if I’ve hijacked this thread , here is a before and after breeding photo!!

Attachments

• 6596A435-1A81-4DD2-8BF0-3E8273EFFDDE.jpg
    6596A435-1A81-4DD2-8BF0-3E8273EFFDDE.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 406
  • CAE33666-71CE-4AC5-9A86-1226F7F37E97.png
    CAE33666-71CE-4AC5-9A86-1226F7F37E97.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 402

ntny

Reaction score
Big difference in coloration. Whats the reason?
Thanks
Sorry if I’ve hijacked this thread , here is a before and after breeding photo!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ntny

Reaction score
hi Mr Cyclone and Folks,
i currently have 3 Tylototriton verrucosus, 2 are dark forms and 1 is light form which is also the largest. i keep them at 18-23C in a low 10gal tank in a fridge. water level is only 5 inches. when they just arrive all of them are scared of going into water. now the 2 dark forms spend most time in water although sometimes i still see them on the turtle dock.
the light form spends most time on the turtle dock?
they came from the same batch. i also notice they are not great swimmers like Cynops species. they are rather clumsy under water. is this normal? they are about 3 inches now.
thanks. they ate chopped earthworms, newly molted mealworms and tubifex worms etc...

Hi these are the dark type. The light type are believed to be also confused with shanjing but are highly aquatic in breeding season (I have both types). The type on caudata culture (light variant) has been sold on the continent as a form of shanjing but isn’t as hydrophobic as true shanjing (if there is such a thing) .
What I do know is there are at least 4animals probably more that look like shanjing or variant 3 Tylototriton verrucosus. With whatever is what to still be correctly clarified.
The light variant have a triangular verruca in a triangle shape at the beginning of the verruca chain on their side ,if I can accomplish loading some pictures on here I will.
The Austrian I got mine from has kept both types of shanjing that breed on land and water.
The light variant /verrucosus/Shanjing breed in the water, my group are now in the water but no eggs yet but plenty tail fanning

ntny

Reaction score
hello folks,
i notice 2 of my T.verrucosus spend a lot of time on the floating island however 1 of them prefers to be in water more.
only when i introduce worms into water they venture into the water for food.
my setup is a 10 gallon tank with a floating island, some plastic plants and a air bubble box filter.
is there anything wrong?
i thought T.verrucosus are highly aquatic? i have them with me for 6 months now a little concern with this behaviour...
thanks and cheers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!