Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

E. andersoni article sought

B

brian

Tim, do you need the second reference page?
I might take advantage of your offer if Vincent gives me an email just because it takes 40 minutes to mail.

Chris, did you get it? I sent it out to you too.

C

chris

Brian - I haven't received it...
sad.gif

just to be sure - my address is : chris.froggy@btopenworld.com

TJ

Reaction score
Hi Brian, yes, I'd be happy to receive the 2nd reference page but no rush at all on that. 40 minutes? It'd take me less than a minute. Just let me know when you need a helping hand ;)

By the way, the report does indeed mention that "the genus Tylototriton is generally regarded as primitive in morphology". So there you have it
biggrin.gif

Ralf, the report says the pattern of genetic differentiation both within E.andersoni and within C.ensicauda coincides with the geological estimate that the Okinawa Group was separated from the Amami Group by the formation of a strait in the mid-Pleistocene, and that the Amami Group was partitioned later into several islands. It says the similar pattern and degree of intraspecific differentiation seems to indicate that the two species were both present when the island groups broke up and that they underwent the same vicariant events.

B

brian

Did I miss something or were the genetic differences they found extremely small?

Also, they didn't do a mDNA or DNA gene I think. Haven't read it that carefully though. Would be interesting to do a mDNA test even if it's not needed.

Yeah I think I have 3 addresses for you Tim if you don't mind mailing it. I'll get you the second reference page by the end of the week. My scanner is not hooked up right now.

TJ

Reaction score
Certainly not large enough to merit designation of any of the 3 groups of E.andersoni (including the Tokunoshima group) as separate subspecies, though morphological differences between them have been noted. The genetic distance between C.e.p and C.e.e is also barely enough to consider them subspecies (or so I was told by somebody involved in the research).

Brian, please mail those addresses to my personal mail address at timtim@gol.com Thanks again.

J

john

Any chance of a copy for moi please? Thank you
happy.gif
. Given your 30+ megabyte emails to me lately Tim, I'm not worried about the size either.

V

vincent

Hi Brian, i received Tim's e-mail. Thank You!

Hi Tim, i received your e-mail, Thank You! Is that have 5 files???

TJ

Reaction score
Hi Vincent. I broke it up into 5 downsized files as your Yahoo mail server wouldn't accept the original file ;) Did you get all 5 pages?

(Message edited by tj on March 17, 2004)

E

edward

Tim, If you would be so kind as to send one my way I would also appreciate it.
Ed

J

jesper

Tim, would you send a copy this way too plz!
Now it is officially a trend, hee hee...

(Message edited by jesper on March 18, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
Sure thing, Jesper. Come one, come all!
lol.gif
But really, this report really isn't anything special unless one has a particular interest in E.andersoni, so don't get your hopes up. I can easily see how people could get curious about it though...

TJ

Reaction score
To save this from becoming the longest thread ever, anybody else who wants it can just mail me directly at timtim@gol.com
wink.gif

T

travis

Ahh, but wouldn't that be cool to be the creator of the longest thread in the history of caudata.org TJ? I say we keep it going. hehe
I'm a little late on this but I am looking for articles too. I don't think I have ever really read anything about E. andersoni and I keep them.Would be nice to learn something new. I'll email you Tim.
-Travis

TJ

Reaction score
I'll hunt that one down for you Travis. I'm pretty sure I still have it stored somewhere
wink.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1