Paddle tail newts eating there own kind? is it possible?

mike

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Mike East
i added another paddle tail newt to my ten gallon tank and i haven't had it for a week when suddenly he was missing? i filled the ten gal all the way up because these newts stay under water most of the time and i thought he had escaped but i looked all over the floor and i couldn't find him? i know he couldn't have gone far because there slow on land but then i noticed my other paddle tail looked kinda of fat but i don't think it's possible for him to eat another newt almost the same size? is it?

Do you have a lid on your tank? I once had a paddletail jump out of the water during feeding when the lid was off. He was not slow either. I only turned my back for a second to grab another worm and he was halfway across the room. As for eating another newt it depends on how much smaller the other one was.

the lid of the tank was on. but it had a gap to get though. but the tank is on a shelf 5 feet high wouldn't the paddle tail have boken his legs or something falling down?

Please, oh please, study this carefully:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/escape.shtml

Yes, paddletails can climb out of a small crack. No, their legs will not be broken by a fall. Yes, they can walk a long distance away, and invariably find the dirtiest, darkest, most inaccessible corner of the house to hide in and dry up.

If there was a big size difference between the 2 newts, then canibalism is possible, but I doubt they could have been that different in size.

WELL GOOD NEWS EVERYONE I FOUND MY PADDLETAIL!!!!
he all of a sudden reappeared in my tank! i figured out why he went missing. when i filled my tank all the way up the filter touched the water so my newt cralwed up the filter and stayed in the filter box for 3 days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back