Old timer....but what IS he??

P

paris

i have had this male pachy for about 8-9 years now, hes had a permanant female for about 3 years and i have seen them breed but gotten no results. problem is i think he may not be a labiatus, check him out.....
30553.jpg

30554.jpg

here he is eating a worm, you can see though that he doesnt just have red/brown colour to the belly, its more of a mosiac and has white mixed in with it
30555.jpg

one web page i was thumbing through mentions a pachy ('A' i believe) having a bluish tint to the white on the tail, thats another reason why i was wondering
30556.jpg

here is the female he likes and has bred with before-she is definitely a labiatus
30557.jpg

also...it seems over the years he has gotten more spots on the tail-has any one noticed added spots as a sign of aging on pachys?

it looks like a pachy A to me. i've read somewhere that "A" is meant to look more like brevipes.

i have had another who has some of these tell me it looks A also, now here is the problem.....mines a male and the 3 hes got are male............
sad.gif
...now im all for free love-but pachys just dont seem to amiable to those of the same gender. anyone else out there in the US have anything like this? they were imported about 9 years ago and havent been seen since. my male has done full sperm deposition at the prompting of a labiatum female i keep him with but no eggs ever were laid....he is currently a genetic dead end if i cannot get him a mate, or two .....im calling out to LTC pachy keepers for help here.

mortis
sad.gif
11/10/5, he'd lost weight and was looking bad for a while now...

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. That was one cool-looking newt.

Without question it's a new species but nobody known where the true habitat of theirs, I think maybe can describe it in next 2 years.

i have a pachytriton labiatus, i wish i had a digital caera to show you how ine looks...he looks palish, with sort of blueish grey tints...I am positive it is not infection or disease, and he is covered in scars fro the petstore he cae from....He is from an overgrown planted tank housing nuerous species of fish and snails, and my boyfreind that has worked there for 8 years had never even seen him. I browse a lot waiting for him to finish work, and when I saw hi and how awful he looked, i demanded that I take him home. He has shown 100% improvement and is true to his species, a VORACIOUS eater.
Anyways, I am babbling, Paris, He has a snout( thats his name) and he has the red spots along his back but his underbelly is light blue grey and red, he looks different than the labiatus... I will try hard to borrow a camera for you to see...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back