Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my newt spawning?

L

louise

Acquired four of these guys yesterday, but I'm not sure what type of paramesotriton they are. They were sold as 'dog face newts'.

79595.jpg

<font color="ff0000">(note from moderator: I've combined your 2 threads as they were both about the same newts
wink.gif
-- Tim)</font>

(Message edited by TJ on March 05, 2007)

L

louise

As I said in my previous post, I got four of these guys yesterday. They have been very active and have done a lot of climbing around in their tank, but one in particular has spent most of its time grappling with the plants in the tank. Recently it has had 2 leaves of a plant firmly clenched between its two back legs, and I think I can see 2 black spots through the leaves. The cloaca looks a bit swollen.

The newts looked a bit thin when I picked them up yesterday, but have had 2 big meals of earthworms and bloodworms. They seem very friendly with each other.

Does this look like spawning, or is it normal behaviour for these newts?

79599.jpg

C

cameron

It looks like there is five eggs underneath the newt in the first picture. It does look like it is spawning.

J

jennifer

The first photo shows egg-laying behavior. Is the second photo another newt, or the same one shown in the first photo? The second one looks rather fat.

L

louise

The second one is the same newt. I have removed a leaf with three eggs stuck to it, and placed them in another tub with an airstone. Two of the four newts seem to be egg laying. I switched off the tank light for the night to give them a bit of peace. Is there anything else I should do?

I can't believe it! I only got them yesterday from the pet shop!

Am I doing the right thing for the eggs?

J

jennifer

Have you read the articles about raising them? Sounds OK so far, just be sure the airstone is on very low, and in a sufficiently sized container: you don't want to "beat" the eggs with bubbles.

You certainly got lucky. It sometimes happens that newly-imported newts arrive already "primed" for egg laying. They have had a full yearly cycle of natural preparation while still in the wild. Getting them to do this after a year in captivity is a whole different ballgame.

L

louise

Thank you! I have read the article about raising larvae, and I've currently got 30 or so baby axies on the go, so it looks like I'll have a house full!

C

chris

they are Paramesotriton hongkongensis, by the way

good luck with them

L

louise

Thank you! Is it possible that the eggs laid are not fertile? Someone on another forum suggested caudates will lay their eggs if stressed, and they may not necessarily be fertile.

C

chris

you will know soon enough; if they are infertile they won't develop and will simply rot. Remember that some might not be fertile, while others are - don't throw the whole batch away if the first few are infertile!

Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1