Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding P. laoensis: any tips???

R

ralf

Before my inner eye I can now perceive water changes being frantically conducted all over the known captive "laoensis universe".
biggrin.gif

Great news for newtkeepers and especially for this species, Paul.

C

chris

brilliant achievement!
Yes, collect as much data as possible!
Chris

TJ

Reaction score
Fantastic, Paul.

Did they lay eggs only on broad-leaved plants like those, or also on small-leaved plants like Egeria densa, or Java moss even....

Have you witnessed the act? Could you describe it for us?

P

paul

@Tim, until now she only lays eggs on one of this broad-leaved plants - always the same. I never saw that she tried to lay in Java moss, and I have a lot of it in the tank.
She climbs through the plant for hours, trying to find a good place to make a "bag" in the leaves with her hind legs.
paramesotriton_laoensis-ablage.JPG

@Sergé and Chris, of course I will collect as much information as I can do, and will make a presentation in Gersfeld if possible!

Paul

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks for that info, Paul. As a result, I'll be stocking my own laoensis tanks with such plants in a day or two
biggrin.gif
If you happen to know the scientific name of that plant, please let us know, though I'm sure I can find something similar. Are the leaves fairly soft and flexible?

When I right-clicked on the egg series photo above, I couldn't help but laugh at the photo name "sixpack"
lol.gif

Have you noticed adults preying on eggs at all or did you remove all of them already?

Also, how calm was the water? Mine has some degree of current as I'm using both a sponge filter and a Fluval. But the current is not intense as the Fluval's water outlet is pointed upward and the flow is cushioned by java moss, while there are areas of the rock-strewn tank that are very calm. Still, the temperature is around 19-20 C...

P

paul

The scientific name is Microsorium pteropus!
It's a problem, that this plant usual need temperatures above 20 °C, but stands at Temperatures of 15°C for some months. I am now looking for similar plants, but lower temperatures stands!
Any idea?

I remove them all out of the tank, as early as possible!

I use a Fluval Filter. I placed it in a way, that the water from the Fluval comes out above the water surface - for more oxygen in the water. On one side of the tank, the water flows, on the other it is calm. The eggs all are laid in the calm part.
Temperature is approximately 16 °C.

Paul

J

joseph

From what I can see...it doesn't look like java fern. Maybe an apogoneton(spelling). They often sell these as "plant bulbs" and they are liked by aquarists for their undulating leaves(some plant bulbs are actually Nymphaea species though so make sure to check). I'd guess Echinodorus might work too but their leaves are tougher.

J

jennifer

I am drinking a big toast to your "six-pack", Paul
bowl.gif
Congratulations, and keep us posted!

Microsorum pteropus is called Java fern here. It is a slow-grower, but seems to tolerate fairly cold aquariums. I have had some alive for >1 year at 16-20C. (It also tolerates repeated egg-laying, fortunately!)

E

edward

Congratulations Paul..

I will also be toasting this accomplishment (but it will have to wait...)

Ed

P

paul

Thanks for all your congratulations.
But I agree to Ed - we have to wait!

Paul

P

paul

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Tomas Zeman on Wednesday 22 November 2006 - 19:07 (#POST112046):</font>

<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
Maybe!
I am not an expert for plants.
Me was told it is java fern.
But its a good plant
smile.gif

Paul

TJ

Reaction score
What I ended up was two kinds of Echinodorus, namely one identified as E. osiris Ozerot Green} (on the left in the 1st pic and by itself in the 2nd)) with relatively big leaves that are very soft and pliable, and the other, identified as E. matei...(sic)} (on the right in the 1st pic), with narrower leaves that are not as soft. I did check out some kinds of Microsorium but they all seemed pretty stiff to me.

73748.jpg

73749.jpg

73750.jpg

73751.jpg

73752.jpg

Paul, might I suggest that when you start showing us how the eggs develop
biggrin.gif
that you start up a new thread on that topic as this one is quite long already and we'll probably be continuing this discussion on how to get them to breed in the first place...

P

paul

Tim, the leaves has not to be so soft!
Because my female most eggs lays between two leaves.
Paul

A

andy

Hi Paul,
I'm interested to know how many eggs have been laid up to now....
Cheers

P

paul

Andy, in the last two weeks my female laid 42 eggs.
One was not fertile, the other develop or are to young to see if they are fertile.
Paul

TJ

Reaction score
Paul, great that you got so many eggs from one female. I hope you have a macro lens to get some nice egg development photos to post here and for use at CC. Please borrow one from somebody else, if necessary!
biggrin.gif
,,,though I'm sure you'll want to save some material for your Gersfeld presentation...

Actually, I did notice the photo of yours having laid eggs between two leaves
smile6.gif
Ah, well, my tank needed some nice plants anyway, so I'll just content myself with these for now, while hoping the laoensis also find them satisfactory.

G

gustavo

Dear caudates colleagues :

After several conversations with other collegues we have concluded on the need of creating a new register for Paramesotriton deloustali and Paramesotriton laoensis within the DGHT/URODELA-AG.
I have the pleasure to inform you that I have the honour of being the Godfather of both registries.
In the following lines we describe the aim of the register. If you have any suggestion please don’t hesitate to contact me;

Best wishes,
Gustavo Espallargas

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1