Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alpine newt

K

killian

This is one of my female alpine newts in her outdoor pond this evening waiting for me to give her a worm. she is looking a bit plump so fingers crossed for some eggs soon.

32338.jpg

32339.jpg

R

rubén

Hi Killian

So... have you got a garden pond with introduced alpine newts there in Ireland? I'm amazed about the clear colours of this newt ( reminds me to T. alpestris apuanus ). Have you got more pics?

K

killian

She is in an outdoor vivarium. I am not sure what species she is but I was told she was just of the T.a.alpestris race, but she maybe a hybrid of the species? She was born outdoors and lived outside in Ireland all her life. perhaps it is the natural food and sunlight that has made her so attractive? she was bred by a friend of mine.

this is a male from the same stock. not a great photo but might help with your identification.
32363.jpg

K

killian

yes you are quite right they have spotted throats, just checked a few of them.

I will email my friend and let him know also

thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1