P. ruber courtship? video

heavysleaze

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Christopher
So about 4 weeks ago, I moved my 6 rubers to a 40 gallon semi-aquatic setup hoping for some breeding to take place. Since I have put them in the new tank, I haven't seen any of them until tonight. I turned on the light and witnessed this. Is it courtship or am I wishfully thinking? Anyone with experience with these guys, let me know! Thanks. Sorry about the lo-res video, I was in a hurry. I am not sure if we can embed video on here...
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NdouC4ZFZTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The link works if you just copy out the URL: prubervid - YouTube

Looks like courtship to me, with all the chin-rubbing....Look out for eggs - check the thread about Plethodontid breedings by 'Taherman' for some more notes on egg deposition and rearing.

Good luck!

C

Aw :D They love each other XD Congrats, and good luck!

Fantastic behaviour, thank you very much for sharing it!
Good luck too, let´s hope fertile eggs are on the way.

Thanks for all the replies guys. This is great news. Taherman, I'll ask you specifically as you are the most experienced Plethodontid keeper on here. Any idea how soon I should be looking for eggs? Surprisingly I didn't do anything to promote this courtship aside from moving a larger number of sals in a bigger tank. Before I had them in groups of three, each group in a 20 gallon long. The air temperature in their new room is a bit cooler. Stays around 66F. Tank setup is a 40 gallon breeder with water about 6 inches deep. One third of the tank is land mass with a small stream that runs through the tank. I am using an underwater pump and a filter to keep the water moving somewhat. I discovered this behavior at 2:40am and even with the overhead light on they remained in a trance for at least 5 minutes. So I guess the changes were a couple of degrees cooler air temperature, more water/space, more water flow and a larger group of animals. So if all goes well, I will have some CB rubers available in...errr....3-4 years! Thanks again to everyone!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back