Jossie's Tank

Jossie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,
I just thought I'd update you on my tank setup, with some photos
I plan to add more plants and another hide of some sort as soon as I can.

2011-07-26153408.jpg

Picked up my tank for $60 including filter, stand, light (which is fairly fragile when you're moving it but ok when it's on top of the tank) and heater. it also came with foam for under the tank, and the guy was only getting rid of it because he got a whopping great tank.
The tank measures 60 cm by 30cm by about 40cm, and had a few scratches inside, but nothing major. It appears to have been re-siliconed, but I'd say this was just to make sure that there were definitely no leaks.
The filter is a Clearview aqua one HOB filter- I think it's a 300 model, but I could be wrong because I can't seem to find what model it is on the back.

2011-08-01172854.jpg

Added washed sand and a small amount of water to the bottom of the tank, to allow for it to settle. This wasn't really necessary, as the sand settled instantly, but it gave me somewhere to put my yellow ivy. I'm mixing real and plastic plants, because, well, I guess you'll see the state of my ivy below.
The sand is a little deep, but I plan on mixing it every time I clean the tank. It just looks better the way it is.

2011-08-02115701.jpg

Pretty much instantly after I filled the tank and switched the filter on.
The filter isn't completely silent, but it's not really that loud. It's also not too strong which is excellent, because I was worried about that.
Before anyone jumps on me for those two pebbles, they're huge. They're in no danger of being eaten.

2011-08-02211615.jpg

also, herro~
(he-who-has-yet-to-be-named demands remodeling of the tank)

oh my god! you finally have a axie! i'm so proud!

we demand more pictures of your little beast!

also, just a thought, have you considered covering the back and sides with black card? (outside ofcoruse) it really makes the inside of the tank and axies contained pop if you get me.

Yay! You finally got an axie! :D How exciting! Post some more pictures for us, please.

JOSSIE! Yay!

What a cutie he/she is. You're both lucky to have each other.

+1 demand for more pictures!

I might try the cardboard, he's a bit of a silly creature, he pretends to be fearless and then becomes a complete wimp. He also likes to hang out in the corners and seems to think that he can swim through glass. Well 'swim' is not really a good description- he kinda just bounces everywhere.

We both just frightened each other. I was making the spot in the back he likes wider and he started to move to nip me. I, being a wimp, yanked my hand out of the water which sent him swimming off to the thermometer corner.

He's a bit stressed (naturally in a new place, and it's also a change from the highly planted tank he was in at the pet shop), so lots of swimming around, and because I have no natural light at the moment everything is reflecting, I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow C:

Haha, all sounds fairly normal then!

Re: him nipping at you, Scott was the same, and it meant he freaked out when he had to feed them while I was away. Worms got dropped, moss walls got ripped out, lots of things got wet *sigh*

So I made him put his arm in and let Roscoe go nuts! Now he's felt that despite the ferocity and speed they move at, it's really like being attacked by piece of damp sponge cake that long ago lost it's enthusiasm for spongey violence anyway.

yeah the black card works a treat. it also helps to make them feel more comfortable and less exposed. my axie tank is in a corner, so I keep the 2 sides that face the walls (back and left side) covered in the card. I also think it looks more tasteful than the aquarium backgrounds that you can get.

as for lighting, I have a small aqua one LED lamp, and it's just the right brightness I think for my monsters. they don't seem to be bothered at all. as it's only a small lamp, it only shines on the section of the tank were the plants grow, and that area is rather densely planted and they wander in and out that section as they wish.

I would maybe consider another hide for your tank. you can see pics of my current tank in the "then and now" thread in the axolotl gallery section if you were after some ideas.

edit: as for getting nipped, it's very common and normal. I feed my monsters using a pair of stainless steel reptile tongs, but when I have my hand in the tank, it's bound to happen. you can usually tell when they are about to attack, as they eye your hand off and move closer slowly. the easiest way to avoid this (it doesn't hurt, even when they do manage to latch onto a finger and that will happen too) is to keep your hand in a fist as much as possible, as it can be startling and can make you jump and nock and bump things in the process.

Last edited:
Wow! What a lovely axie and a very lucky one too :) The tank looks good :D

+1 for LED's btw.

LED's don't seem to bother mine one jot. In fact, they seem to deliberately go and sit under them (although that might be co-incidence!).

Quick upload before I leave to babysit.

He's calmed down since this morning which is good.
(also blood worms are impossible to clean up)

Attachments

• DSC_0158.jpg
    DSC_0158.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 270
what a great colour s/he is. I think it could be a copper!

bloodworms are messy. try thawing them and pitting them in a dish of some description.

Wow, Jossie, he is absolutely divine!

+1 for the dish/jar, and get a turkey baster, makes cleaning up sooooo much easier.

Seriously, he is so very beautiful.

Thanks guys!
I especially love the pattern of freckles on his nose.
He is definately a he. Well I'm 99.9% sure that he is indeed male. If he turns out to be a she i'll be extremely surprised.
And a copper/olive colour. I'll try to get some better shots tomorrow.
Also trying a feeding jar. Which could be interesting seeing as he was swimming up and down and around again.
a bit different compared to when I was trying to clean using an itty bitty measuring seringe when he refused to move even when I squirted him with it and tried to nudge him to get him to move.

Awww congrats on your new arrival! :D Nice tank btw, it looks so natural. I gave up on the bloodworms cause I'm lazy :p but I never had trouble cleaning them up cause Gem would eat em all. Your axi, in that pic, looks almost like the axi I was going to buy at the pet shop :cry: I hope you come to love owning an axolotl like I have :happy: They're such an awsome pet to have :lol:

Jossie got her axie...jossie got her axie...go girl.

He is beautiul. I love his colour, freckles and that cute little face......

Well done

Thank you for all the compliments!
My mum keeps calling him freaky for some reason, but other than that she seems to be fine with him.
She was asking me earlier if he'd be lonely all on his own. Which is making me think if he actually is lonely.
I now understand why they're like potato chips XD

I'm going for a natural look, even though all but one of his plants are currently plastic.
Some plants and his log have been moved but he prefers to sit behind it near the filter intake than in it. I caught him thinking about climbing onto the log a minute ago.

Also I saw him yawn today and it was adorable.

Also Sarah that was scarily psychic.
(It's not loading the edit page for some reason)

They say that they dont care about company but I know when Abby passed away cookie was beside herself......She missed him. She came back to normal when pebbles moved in and she is a happy axie again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back