CA Press x2: Letter: You’re kidding, right? (Sals)

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
BETHEL ISLAND PRESS (Oakley, California) 14 March 08 Letter: You’re kidding, right?
Editor:
I must say it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to know that the public’s lives and safety on Vasco Road are being prolonged and going to cost more due to saving salamanders and frogs. That’s right, everyone – salamanders and frogs.
This has got to be a joke. Is it March? It is, so this for sure is not an April fool’s joke.
I understand this is not preventing the barrier from happening and just delaying it further, but how many people have to die or be seriously injured to realize salamanders and frogs are not important when compared to people’s lives.
However, I’m sure in the eyes of the people that are fighting for these creatures, a couple more roadside shrines would allow some shade and fresh flowers for the frogs and salamanders to occupy. As someone who works in public safety, it is more than urgent to get a barrier built. I have seen, and continue to see, as I did just a few days ago, the dangers of Vasco Road and the aftermath of horrific accidents.
It seems pretty ridiculous and sickening to even have to be discussing this issue. But apparently, salamanders and frogs are a high priority over the mother, father, son or daughter that might be saved by a barrier put in place sooner rather than later. It doesn’t take a genius to realize how stupid this is.
Joseph Durrenberger, Brentwood
http://bethelislandpress.com/article.cfm?articleID=19023

BRENTWOOD PRESS (California) 29 February 08 Vasco barrier faces wildlife roadblock (Ruth Roberts)
Improving the safety of motorists along the most treacherous portions of Vasco Road is facing further delay and higher costs in order to assure the safety of endangered salamanders and frogs.
County officials are moving ahead with plans for the construction of a concrete median barrier on portions of the road traveled by 20,000 commuters per day, and which has claimed the lives of 27 people in the last decade. But because the road cuts through the habitat of the tiger salamander and the red-legged frog, measures must also be put in place to help preserve those endangered species.
“We are looking at potentially time-intensive and costly reviews regarding the environmental aspects of the barrier project,” said Supervisor Mary Piepho. “The hills in the Vasco corridor are extremely environmentally protected and there are standards that must be complied with.”
When the first improvements to Vasco Road were made in 1996, special culverts were installed to steer the animals toward pipes that provide migration routes beneath the roadway. Now, as safety improvements are being considered, the county public works department, under the provisions of the East County Conservation Plan, is again studying the potential impact of additional road construction.
Should it be decided that the salamanders and frogs would be put at increased risk of becoming road kill as they make their way across the median barrier, additional animal-friendly structures might need to be built. Such enhancements could necessitate the rebuilding of the current culverts and tunnels along the 2.5 miles of affected roadway, or possibly the construction of an animal overpass.
“That (the overpass) is a possibility, but certainly no decisions have been made yet,” said Chris Lau, project planner with the county public works department. “Yes, it could be costly; probably around a million; maybe higher.”
Because it is not always possible to monitor the numbers of critters using the pint-sized subways versus those who dash across the highway, it is the job of professionals like Lau to make sense of it all.
“We are conducting movement studies to determine where exactly they (salamanders and frogs) are on Vasco,” said Lau. The studies include counting the numbers of animals caught in traps or killed on the road.
“Because we are talking about putting in a hard barrier, at least for a portion of the road, we need to make sure that it doesn’t disturb them.”
So while the county works to secure the remaining dollars needed for the barrier project (roughly $10 million), Piepho also supports exploring options for fast-tracking the environmental process, believing that the longer the county continues to study the endangered species, the longer it will take to secure the public’s safety.
“The fast track should be on saving human lives,” said Piepho. “That’s what we are focused on and where our commitment continues to be. That’s our priority.”
http://www.brentwoodpress.com/article.cfm?articleID=18961
(Ruth Roberts)
Improving the safety of motorists along the most treacherous portions of Vasco Road is facing further delay and higher costs in order to assure the safety of endangered salamanders and frogs.
County officials are moving ahead with plans for the construction of a concrete median barrier on portions of the road traveled by 20,000 commuters per day, and which has claimed the lives of 27 people in the last decade. But because the road cuts through the habitat of the tiger salamander and the red-legged frog, measures must also be put in place to help preserve those endangered species.
“We are looking at potentially time-intensive and costly reviews regarding the environmental aspects of the barrier project,” said Supervisor Mary Piepho. “The hills in the Vasco corridor are extremely environmentally protected and there are standards that must be complied with.”
When the first improvements to Vasco Road were made in 1996, special culverts were installed to steer the animals toward pipes that provide migration routes beneath the roadway. Now, as safety improvements are being considered, the county public works department, under the provisions of the East County Conservation Plan, is again studying the potential impact of additional road construction.
Should it be decided that the salamanders and frogs would be put at increased risk of becoming road kill as they make their way across the median barrier, additional animal-friendly structures might need to be built. Such enhancements could necessitate the rebuilding of the current culverts and tunnels along the 2.5 miles of affected roadway, or possibly the construction of an animal overpass.
“That (the overpass) is a possibility, but certainly no decisions have been made yet,” said Chris Lau, project planner with the county public works department. “Yes, it could be costly; probably around a million; maybe higher.”
Because it is not always possible to monitor the numbers of critters using the pint-sized subways versus those who dash across the highway, it is the job of professionals like Lau to make sense of it all.
“We are conducting movement studies to determine where exactly they (salamanders and frogs) are on Vasco,” said Lau. The studies include counting the numbers of animals caught in traps or killed on the road.
“Because we are talking about putting in a hard barrier, at least for a portion of the road, we need to make sure that it doesn’t disturb them.”
So while the county works to secure the remaining dollars needed for the barrier project (roughly $10 million), Piepho also supports exploring options for fast-tracking the environmental process, believing that the longer the county continues to study the endangered species, the longer it will take to secure the public’s safety.
“The fast track should be on saving human lives,” said Piepho. “That’s what we are focused on and where our commitment continues to be. That’s our priority.”
http://www.brentwoodpress.com/article.cfm?articleID=18961

There's a comment form at the bottom of that "editor"'s piece, if anyone wants to comment to him.

I'm all for human lives but one has to ask one's self if those road deaths are solely due to the road itself - that seems to absolve human beings of any wrong doing in their driving, yet as the article says, only 27 people in 10 years out of 20000 commuters per day have died (I assume quite a few were injured though). My question is what is that small minority doing that the rest of them aren't? Perhaps California needs to be a bit more stringent with its driving license exams? Lord knows Texas does - I got my driving license in 48 hours, having never ever driven a car prior to that time and having studied the handbook the night before...

I agree with your reasoning John. There is just not enough information for me to form an opinion. Perhaps the editor has a dislike toward environmentalists, has known someone personally that has lost a life on this road, or maybe this is just his opnion without any key contributing factors. I'm certainly all for saving every shred of wild habitat possible but not at the expense of human lives. Interesting story.
Chip

Sometimes its hard to have sympathy for humans.

They build roads, then run themselves over, then take it out on frogs

Sometimes its hard to have sympathy for humans.

They build roads, then run themselves over, then take it out on frogs

I just laughed so hard tea came out of my nose. In future post a warning if your gonna be funny :p

For some reason I have an inexplicable dislike towards environmentalists and the like(tree hugging hippy scum) however much I may or may not agree with them on the other hand I simply cannot tolerate stupid people, for example the kind of people who would be all for the extermination of species and habitats because they cant quite manage to operate a really quite simple piece of machinery without hurting themselves.
We've done enough damage already. 'human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet' to quote the slightly over used sound bite. I'm opposed to this kind of thing, when nescasery, retarding 'progress' as it were but equaly as opposed to trashing any more of a world we've done a pretty good job on already.

In this case I think the solution is simple - if you can't drive a car in a stright line yet insist on owning one you should be shot, you'd be doing the future and the human race a favour by removing them from the gene pool.

In this case I think the solution is simple - if you can't drive a car in a stright line yet insist on owning one you should be shot, you'd be doing the future and the human race a favour by removing them from the gene pool.
That's a form of Eugenics. We (humans) tried that in a few countries. Perhaps not the best way to go about things.

That's a form of Eugenics. We (humans) tried that in a few countries. Perhaps not the best way to go about things.

That was slightly tongue in cheek comment I am, of course, not condoning the mass slaughter of whole groups of people(thought I think everyone can agree we could do without the Welsh :D).

Go look up 'the Darwin Awards' if you've never heard of it, a constant source of amusement(to me, at least).

I know you were kidding, so was I. Ever since Eugenics was hijacked by the Nazis to justify the atrocities they committed, you can't really talk about it even when joking, without fear of being taken seriously. Anyhow "we"'re* better than that. Right? Think so? Look at what the US was up to until 1972:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Study_of_Untreated_Syphilis_in_the_Negro_Male

* Modern Western Society

I know you were kidding, so was I.

Thank god for that!
I suffer from a slightly off the wall, quite morbid kind of humour in what most people would consider 'poor taste', it doesnt always translate to writing well and I get myself in all sort of messes with people who dont know me.

In any case, nope, and didnt think so. I know my history all to well, all the milestones are marked by occurences of people doing unpleasent things towards other people. Its human nature. Anyway, thats several very off topic debates.

I did wonder what species of frogs and sals it was they're referring to just out of interest - anyone?

I Love Trees

I just laughed so hard tea came out of my nose. In future post a warning if your gonna be funny :p

For some reason I have an inexplicable dislike towards environmentalists and the like(tree hugging hippy scum)

l.

My comment's destiny was to drive tea from your nose.

I'm happy if you laughed

You seem to have derived a lot from my 2 sentences , ,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back