Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Congressional Hearing Banning Nonnative Species April 23 Action Needed

SUZY

Reaction score
About not flipping out.
How about we just lay down, and become a communist state. We don't need FREEDOM.
If we don't keep on our toes, we'll loose our a****(EVERYTHING) !!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
About not flipping out.
How about we just lay down, and become a communist state. We don't need FREEDOM.
This is an apolitical web site with the sole exception of new laws directly related to our hobby. With all due respect, I don't want to see this kind of thing posted here please.

JWERNER

Reaction score
About not flipping out.

Let me tell you something, with attitudes like that its a wonder bills like this have not passed before!

Its also the reason why bills like this are produced!

People do/did really need to calm down and yes people like you. We need to approach this in a mature sensible manner. There is no point spreading pandemonium, it only makes things worse. For example those ranting and raving the most about our freedom and civil rights are the ones with absolutely no idea of what this bill really is in the first place ( not on caudata.org but else where I have read about this bill )!

Those are the ones that dont understand this is pertaining to invasive species, mostly ones allready on some states black list to begin with. Not just every single animal in the trade! The big diference here is that it will be federaly enforced rather than managed by the state!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think you're helping, Jamie.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Those are the ones that dont understand this is pertaining to invasive species, mostly ones allready on some states black list to begin with. Not just every single animal in the trade! The big diference here is that it will be federaly enforced rather than managed by the state!

The bill is about "every single animal in the trade." If the animal is not on the accepted list it can't be imported. Who do you think would fund the study to prove if salamanders are a threat or not. My guess is if the bill were to pass only a few salamanders would be listed as acceptable. We are a fringe group that is ill equipped to fund the kind of study necessary to get animals approved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Critter Mom

Reaction score

Critter Mom

Reaction score
Agreed, John.

The good news is, The U.S. government is a slow plodding dinosaur, so we still have time to kill this thing before it becomes law.

I wonder if axolotls can be trained to wear body armor and march in formation?

I can breed an entire Anti-HR669 Army of caudates!:smile:

:lol:

Critter Mom

Reaction score

The bill is about "every single animal in the trade." If the animal is not on the accepted list it can't be imported. Who do you think would fund the study to prove if salamanders are a threat or not. My guess is if the bill were to pass only a few salamanders would be listed as acceptable. We are a fringe group that is ill equipped to fund the kind of study necessary to get animals approved.

Sad, but true. You have a very good point. I think animals that have been here less years than that such as the sugar glider might have to "go" too. (I hope not, I have one!) They have only been in the USA for about 15 years or so. Oh no, what if someone's several hundred dollar pet ($150-400) escaped! (I am sure it has probably happened before. I have not heard about any widespread panic over it, but I am sure the owner was pretty frantic given the cost of those little guys and the emotional bonds that form.)

JWERNER

Reaction score

Exactly what Im talking about.

:rolleyes:

How can there be list in this case? I mean its about "every single animal in the trade" what good does the list do?:rolleyes:

Its not about every single animal in the trade its about those that congress feel could endanger the environment and human health as well as the economy!

Who do you think would fund the study to prove if salamanders are a threat or not.

Well, if they are going to be on a black list someone has to fund that study. I doubt it will be subject to a unfair research favoring the bill!

regardless we can all agree that it is bogus and I have some new news to report.

A fellow member of another forum claims he called this number 202-225-0691 of the House Subcommittee of Insular Affairs and spoke to a official that claims the bill was rejected.

Again it is only something a person claimed to have done so Im not sure if it is legitimate or not but I have good feelings towards the bill being rejected.

IanF

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance as I haven't spent much time researching this bill- but it has been proposed multiple times in the past, correct?
What is so different this time. I've heard a few people (not on this site) saying it was much more 'aggressive' but these people also said the government where "going to take our animals away from us and kill them". Anyone care to enlighten me?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know it was proposed one time before, last year as HR 6311.

And while they don't propose to take our animals away, it may become illegal to breed and trade/sell them.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
UPDATES:

here is PIJAC's official statement at this time.

http://nohr669.com/blog/?p=229

And as usual, our government has not updated the usual sites...yet...

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h669/show

So again, lets be very clear here. This bil is NOT dead. It was sent back to the drawing board to be re-written. As best as I can tell, Dept of the Interior, PIJAC, and USARK are working together to reform this bill into a Blacklist rather than a whitelist. In other words, the bill will state clearly EXACTLY what animals are ilegal to own, trade, import, breed, etc...

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, for now, we should take a breather and feel very good about what has been accomplished so far, and resolve to continue to fight the next incarnation of the vampire.

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
As best as I can tell, Dept of the Interior, PIJAC, and USARK are working together to reform this bill into a Blacklist rather than a whitelist. In other words, the bill will state clearly EXACTLY what animals are ilegal to own, trade, import, breed, etc...

I have nothing against a blacklist, I think it would be a good thing to know EXACTLY what not to have. Just as long as each species made illegal to own has sufficient research and proof behind its banning.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Here is a digest of the latest information:

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h669/news

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2009/05/world_parrot_trust_speaks_out.php

As you can see the Subcommittee meets again tomorrow, and again on the 19th. Since so many folks incorrectly claimed victory as the predecessor bill died in a similar fashion, it is very important to continue following this issue as information becomes available.

Currently nothing is shown on the schedule even vaguely pertaining to the new version of this bill.

http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/index.php?option=com_jcalpro&Itemid=27&extmode=cat&cat_id=3

Irvin Loblolly

Reaction score
This sort of thing is par for the course in the hunting field. The specialty lobby groups try to pass these things. With hunting they add something small to something bigger. Each time the big one doesnt pass something small does. It always goes through as quietly as they can. Usually someone notices it and lobbies against it. As a hunter, I am writing letters weekly. Weekly. I would expect that people as passionate about your hobby as you guys would not mind writing letters, as that is what you shoud do. Make calls, emails, and send letters.

Just because a scientist said something doesnt mean you should beleive what they say. PeTA and other groups like HSUS pay scientists to perform "studies" as well as doctors. What kind of data is going to get "published" from a privately paid study? In hunting and trapping this sort of thing is common, as well as other fields in animal rights activists aim.

Coming from being attacked for decades from gun and hunting legislation initiatives, just because someone says its good doesnt make it so. Theres so much money from the animal rights industry it is absurd. They just want humans to not use, keep, or do anything with animals. Period. They arent interested in the details, whether keeping caudates in captivity may help the species survive. They could care less, they cant see past their noses in many cases. PeTA searches and research will help you find the mindset these people have.

If you want to keep caudates as pets, I would suggest you write a letter to someone in office that has control over it. Ive lost enough of my hobbies to special interest lobbies who only care about making money and being in the media.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!