Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Zoomed Bug Napper anybody ?

WetBeast

Reaction score
It's days now that I wonder if I would spend a huge amount of €€€
for something that's looking like a barely more elaborated pocket lamp...

:mad:

Unexpectedly, there's so few information (reviews of actual customers) online...

In the USA, it costs nothing compared to the european prices...
It's unfair, but that's how it is...
Ahhh, cruel life, and survival of the fittest...

:rolleyes:

Is Zoomed Bug Napper worth buying ?
Please, answer only if you've got one/experienced it.
Thank you.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have one. I used it two nights and never used it again. The bugs it caught were too weird and I wasn't sure if they'd be safe. And you have to plug it in, and I worried if it rained if that would short something out. So I have it in my basment ever since. I'd love to sell it to someone (cheap)!

WetBeast

Reaction score
I have one. I used it two nights and never used it again. The bugs it caught were too weird and I wasn't sure if they'd be safe. And you have to plug it in, and I worried if it rained if that would short something out. So I have it in my basment ever since. I'd love to sell it to someone (cheap)!

Hi otterwoman.

I have some questions :

What exactly do you call "too weird" bugs ?
Is this some kind of cryptozoologic stuff (LOL) ?
To which extent can a bug be "too weird" ?

But most importantly :

I didn't know you had to have it plugged in...

:confused:

(I thought it worked with some batteries,
since nowhere online it is stipulated it had to be plugged in,
silly lack of product information on the internet !
)

I would have gladly bought it to you,
if you would sell it cheap, and if the delivery was not too expensive,
but the plugging "systems" don't match between the US and Europe...

:rolleyes:

Anyway, thank you for the info otterwoman.
Gladly appreciated.

If I were you, I would insist on catching insects for my amphibians with it,
whatever the "weirdness"of some bugs (LOL).

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
By weird I meant funny colored moths and such that I didn't know if they might be poisonous, weird bugs that were brightly colored or hairy sometimes. Odd things I didn't recognize. I didn't know if the hairy things might hurt them going down, and since brightly colored newts are toxic, I thought it might hold for bugs too, and I didn't want to take a chance. Also lots of times in the morning they would be dead, and they wouldn't take to dead bugs. When I thought about feeding something to my newts that might end up hurting them, I knew I couldn't forgive myself if I did, so I decided to stick to slugs. But that's just me, I won't feed my sals crickets either.

Oh, also a lot of beetles that have hard shells, and since my newts don't seem to like pillbugs, I didn't want to give them the hard shells.

I know you have different outlets there, so that part was sort of a joke.

WetBeast

Reaction score
Oh OK now, I understand better what you could call "too weird" bugs.

I guess the better thing to do, though perhaps time-consuming (but certainly worth doing),
would be to catch these bugs (especially the moths) with your bugnapper,
and to find their name (thanks to their physical features/appearance/looks),
either online or in some book (about the insect fauna living in your region),
and finally discover if they are poisonous, or not...

:happy:

And "outlet" was the missing word I was trying to remember of, thank you.

:D

LOL @ your joke, but pulling it aside for a second, how much would you sell your bugnapper ?

:p

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Sounds like a neat little gadget if you can ID the bugs you catch. I do think it'd be more useful with lizards and whatnot than caudates....I don't think our newts get many flying bugs in the wild(with the exception of small aquatic sp. like vulgaris that take fallen insects from the surface).

WetBeast

Reaction score
Hi Joseph,

although it may seem cruel, one can simply cut/remove the wings of any captured moth,
and give the wingless insects to the caudates.

Any critters we keep as our pets, as long a they're carnivorous/insectivores,
can get its share of moths and what not with such a product.

:happy:

I'm just mad at how expensive it is in Europe (between 45 and 80 euros € !!!)...

:mad:

fishkeeper

Reaction score
For sure. My terrestrial C. e. popei have trouble enough catching crickets...even in the water. I find that they will take dead ones from the surface and I suppose this happens occasionally in the wild.

Anyway I would love this gadget if it is still available.

malduroque

Reaction score
It's still available. LLLReptiles carries it as does ThatPetPlace. Do a google search and you'll find others. It ranges from $25-40 US when I last checked. I've been strongly considering it but upon reading in this thread that it requires a plug, I'm thinking twice and thrice about it now.

Mal

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
If it were portable I'd buy one. I may have to make one myself.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1