Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Va. student mistaken for deer, shot to death

pete

Reaction score
I saw this tragic accident on SFgate, but I think it serves as a reminder to be careful while you are in the field herping. Especially during hunting season.

Va. student mistaken for deer, shot to death
Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Officials in Virginia say a college student was shot to death while collecting frogs for biology class by a hunter who mistook her and her classmates for deer.

A Ferrum College spokeswoman says three students were collecting frogs Tuesday afternoon along a trail a mile west of campus.

The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries says 23-year-old Jessica Goode was shot and killed and 20-year-old Regis J. Boudinot was shot in the hand. The third student wasn't hurt.

Department Sgt. Karl Martin says 31-year-old Jason David Cloutier of Ferrum was charged with manslaughter, reckless handling of a firearm and trespassing.

Cloutier's bond was set at $20,000 and court officials say he doesn't yet have a lawyer.

No one answered the phone at the home of the only Cloutier listed in Ferrum.

Original article: Va. student mistaken for deer, shot to death

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone just reminded me early this morning to bring Blaze Orange clothing with me this week for herping. I had forgotten that hunting season is on.

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
No joke... I ran into this the a few weeks back at a pull out in Northern California... I was going do some flipping but found this and decided against it since I was dressed entirely in brown....
f2DFR.jpg

Not to mention the other wierdos out there in the woods.... I found this little cult shrine in the woods with candles ablaze... in case you can't make it out, they are young chickens with their heads pulled off. Needles to say i put the candles out and cleaned up the mess...
IfRdt.jpg

ri2v7.jpg

pete

Reaction score
Not to mention the other wierdos out there in the woods.... I found this little cult shrine in the woods with candles ablaze... in case you can't make it out, they are young chickens with their heads pulled off. Needles to say i put the candles out and cleaned up the mess...

Yes, and Californians specifically beware of hippies, drug farmers, weirdos, as well as hunters....

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Deer guts.

The picture is of a deer head (a buck), with the antlers sawed off, and the entrails of the animal.

This is somewhat common practice in hunting, field dressing. That is, you remove the entrails of the animal as they're not edible, and leave them in the woods to rot (or feed other woodland animals). This also makes the deer lighter to drag out of the woods. Most people usually don't leave the head. That's a little disturbing.

dane_zu

Reaction score
Deer guts.

The picture is of a deer head (a buck), with the antlers sawed off, and the entrails of the animal.

This is somewhat common practice in hunting, field dressing. That is, you remove the entrails of the animal as they're not edible, and leave them in the woods to rot (or feed other woodland animals). This also makes the deer lighter to drag out of the woods. Most people usually don't leave the head. That's a little disturbing.

the deer could've been poached...or it could just be were that hunter left his deer junk, I know a lot of people who leave their deer parts after they butcher them in the same places. Seeing as how the junk appeared to be in a bag the hunter must've transported that back into the woods, because who would bring a bag to put the entrails and junk parts into when you can just leave them on the ground.....it looks to just be a hide and the head though, no carcass

none the less, its pretty sad to hear of people getting shot and accidentally mistaken for a deer, thats just bad hunting

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
yes the blue bag had contained the parts you see in the pic... the deer had been field dressed and the pile was just legs, a head and fatty hide... the location was a state forest that does allow hunting and posts warnings for hikers and hunters to be aware of each other in august and october...

when I walked up I startled several large vultures that nearly gave me a hard attack when they swooped off their perches. but they were the cleanup crew.
I assumed the animal was killed legally and I don't really object to the carcass on the side of the road, but at least take it out of the plastic bag you know.

It more just made me realize to take the warnings seriously

attaching a bell or rattle to your pack or belt can help make your presence known and alert large animals like boar and bears so you don't surprise each other

Jake

Reaction score
Yes, and Californians specifically beware of hippies, drug farmers, weirdos, as well as hunters....

"beware of hippies"...never heard that one before. Are you implying that hippies are a dangerous group to come across or something?

The world is full of "weirdos", not just California.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of how different, in general, Europe and the US are....
I also can´t help but think that you have to be quite stupid to shoot at something without even making sure what it is...i mean, come on...it can´t take more than two seconds of observation to distinguish humans from deers....if you just shoot at anything that moves, blindly, you are a despeakable bastard in my opinion....

Last edited:

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Several years ago, an American rancher in the US-Mexico border shot to death an illegal "alien". In his declaration at the police station he said he confused the poor man with a porcupine! I am not joking, this is what he said.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I also can´t help but think that you have to be quite stupid to shoot at something without even making sure what it is...

I agree. You really need to be sure what you're shooting at. Most hunters do this.

That being said, if you're going to the woods during hunting season, you should do something to distinguish yourself from the rest of wildlife, especially if you're going to be bent over, looking like a quadrupedal animal. This is why they make blaze orange clothing. Wear it.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Some states even go so far as to make wearing blaze orange the law during hunting season, regardless if your hunting or not. Better safe than sorry!

jaster

Reaction score
It is always a shame hearing these stories. I am thankful for the days my dad would drag me out in the freezing cold before sunrise to teach me the correct ways of hunting. A wardrobe full of neon clothing does not hurt either :tongue:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1