Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is this bug???

Zhinigami

Reaction score
Hi!
Yesterday I was out in my pond and I found a weird bug, it is long, cylindric shaped with three legs on each side, got three tails, and is only around a half centimeter long at most.
I caught some some them and gave them to my two smooth newt and they loved them! even the picky one where on his toes to get some more.
anyone know a bug which resemble this? I will try to take a picture but since they are so small its hard :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Zhinigami

Reaction score
well thanks for the answers :)
i have used them as food to my newts and they really seems to like them but are they good for them ? just wondering since i aint that familiar with bugs and whats good newt food :)

Zhinigami

Reaction score
well i cheched them out and they did both resemble the bug but its probably another kind of dragonfly or what they become when they grow up

Zhinigami

Reaction score
Well mine are about a year old even if they are a bit small and since I feed them by tweezers, I crush them to make sure no damage is made to my newts. So I should continue feed them these dragonfly larvaes then ? They sure seems to like them and since we got a small pond in the backyard it won't be hard to get new ones!

Last edited by a moderator:

asfouts

Reaction score
Actually its either a damselfly or mayfly larvae, dragonfly larvae only have two short stubs at the end of their abdomen which turns into their mating prongs as an adult. Also dragonfly larvae are more robust then other macro invertebrates. Either way sounds like you are doing well.

Zhinigami

Reaction score
Well then i think its damsel since it resembled the most, Thanks and i guess that yeah i do :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!