Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red-Spotted Newts

TJ

Reaction score
I just want to know how anybody has caught red-spotted newts. I need details like what cover they were under, the exact type of habitat, whether the habitat was disturbed by people or not, and how far you had to go into their habitat to find them.

A

alberto

Hello Tim
I have seen many Red Spotted eft's while hiking in the mountains and forest in the Eastern part of the country. For example in the mountains and the forest of Vermont after heavy rains. Also under leave litter and under rotten logs and stones. Always in a moist area and the adult Red spotted newts in ponds and pools with heavy floating vegetation.
I hope that this information was helpful to you.
Best wishes
ufo.gif

P

patrick

I used to catch adult red spotted's in a small lake in southwestern Pennsylvania using what I consider to be an interesting technique. They were living in underwater ground cover (elodea or something like it) in a still bay that was sort of separated from the rest of the lake. I would dangle a nightcrawler via a hook and fishing pole ito the cover. The newts would chomp on the dangling end of the worm (the hook was never near the newts mouth) and often times I could quickly pull them out of the water and drop them into a bucket with some water in it before they let go of the worm.

D

dane

I find them under logs mostly, one I found was like on the edge of a shagnumy boggy swampy deal and I also have found them near a wet area the seemed like it would fill up with water in the spring

C

cameron

After heavy rains they are found walking around in my neighbor hood located in Peidmont.
frog.gif

P

peter

There is one specific place in upstate, new york that has bunches. They hang out right by the entrance of the cave. I'm guessing there's a whole population of aquatic adults inside the cave.

(Message edited by Ed on December 06, 2006)

E

edward

Hi Peter,

I edited the location out of your post as this will help prevent unscrupulous people from going there and collecting all of the animals they can locate.

Ed

W

wyatt

I found some in New York. They were just like everywhere. Every where you looked in that pond there was at least one newt. I even found what appeared to be a released dwarf firebelly, which I never got to keep. I kept it, but it must have escaped. I caught like 20 and ended up bringing home like 10 4 ended up dying while I kept the other 6. Well, they have all died off naturally the past two or three years and now I have two.

seandelevan

Reaction score
I used to live near many ponds in western PA and NY and in late April/early May some of these ponds would be infested with these guys. I could swipe a net once through the water and dozens would be caught.

Now I just moved to VA and I need to find more places like that!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1