T. granulosa underfed?

J

jonathan

Hello, my name is Jonathan and this is my new friend Isaac. I had many different pets as a child and a newt (this species) was probably my favorite. So I'm incredibly excited to have Isaac swimming and slithering around next to my desk.
71921.jpg

71922.jpg

71923.jpg

He's about 4.5 inches long tip to tail.
He looks pretty thin according to what I remember and every other pic I've seen of this species. (his hips and ribs are all very visible - sorry about the low quality pics.) He was the only newt in a 10 gall. tank of about a dozen decent sized frogs that were pretty active.
Is he just young, or did the frogs beat him to the food, or is he maybe sickly? He eats ferociously now, so I wonder how much and how often should I feed him?
-thanks

Well for one, he shouldn't have been housed with frogs. He may not have gotten his share of food or may have been stressed because of their presence. It may take awhile for Isaac to get accustomed to his new home, but you should be able to fatten him up. My newt was very skinny in the summer (due to illness) but now he's quite chunky! Try live food, as newts are usually more receptive to live food as opposed to frozen or pellets. Good luck with your little one!

And you shouldn't let him crawl around on a dusty desk. Amphibians have VERY sensitive skin.

Thanks for the replies. You guys have lots of really good information, but I couldn't find anything on this: Isaac's stomach looks a little discolored, and it seems to be below the skin.
72252.jpg

my opinion is that because he is lacking a layer of fat, you may be seeing his organs and digestive tract through his skin.
But definately listen to Jennifer and Joan, they are by far two of the most knowledgable and experienced people on the site!
I would definately be feeding everyday with soe chopped up earth worms! Also, handling and taking Isaac out of his cage is a bad idea, because he is unhealthy he wouldnt be able to fight a fungal or bacterial disease, and if he got a sore or injury healing would be difficult for him. You are in the right place, good luck with your newt!
ALSO- what is his tank like? Is he being housed with any other animals?

(Message edited by trincan on October 23, 2006)

Nope. He's got a 10 gallon tank to himself, with water about 6-8" deep, fine sand on the bottom, and a couple of pieces of wood breaking the surface for him to climb on.

edit: he was missing 2 toes on his front right leg when I got him, and he's holding it at an angle that you can't see the other two, but they are still there.

(Message edited by jcb118 on October 23, 2006)

I agree, I think you're just seeing his internals through the skin.

It's a bit of an old thread, but I wonder how Isaac is doing. As for the discoloration of the belly, it wouldn't surprise me if this one will turn out to be a male.

Missed this thread over the holidays. Thanks for asking, he's doing fine. Here's a pic of him from 2 months ago. when I get hold of my camera again I'll post a more updated pic. His toes became slightly darkened over the winter, so I'm starting to feel confidant about isaac being a male.
76792.jpg

And a pic from 2 months ago, meaning he put on that much weight in about a month. Awesome job Jonathon! (Insert 'Thumbs Up' Smilie Here)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back