Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Well this skews my sex ratio

J

joan

74128.jpg

74129.jpg

74130.jpg

Goes to show how hard it is to correctly sex Taricha. I was SURE I had 3 females and a male. Either she's one butch lesbian, or it's a male. Lots of tailfanning going on by both parties. So maybe we'll see some babies soon!

J

jennifer

Wonderful to see! Best of luck with future developments!

J

joan

Horny little devils. They're still at it. I separated them last night for feeding. The female ate greedily, and the male amplexed his worm.

Oh, he just let the one female go and is chasing another. lol.

I do know what triggered it though. Our furnace went out the other day and was down for over 24 hours. It got to about 50F in the apartment for the day. Then when it warmed up, that was all the encouragement he needed.

B

blake

hahahahaha. granulosa are about the worst about this i think. my male will amplex my finger if i'm trying to feed them.

B

blake

actually, come to think of it, mine dont NEED any convincing... it stays a steady 70 to 72 degrees in their tank and they go at it about once or twice a week, but i've never seen any actual mating characteristics. even if they do try to mate, the female can't become gravid until after "winter" .......right?

J

jennifer

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Joan S. on Monday 04 December 2006 - 18:29 (#POST113521):</font>

The female ate greedily, and the male amplexed his worm. <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> Thank you for that lovely mental image
rofl.gif

TJ

Reaction score
Joan, you really need to lighten up! ... and by that I mean lighten up your very nice photos
lol.gif

If you don't have any photo editing software, I can send you a tiny program that doesn't even need to be installed and just sits on your desktop. Here's your 2nd photo to show what you can do with it:

74212.jpg

J

joan

Sorry Tim. I was just excited to post some pics. Next time I'll take a few mins and run them through Adobe.

J

joan

The female has been hanging out on the plant for a day or two, but I've yet to see eggs. Maybe she's resting. He did give her quite a workout.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1