Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sexing Taricha granulosa

TJ

Reaction score
Would somebody with some knowledge of this species (not just wild guesses please) let me know whether these two are both females?

<u>T. granulosa A</u>

23070.jpg

23071.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on September 17, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
<u>T. granulosa B</u>

23075.jpg

23076.jpg

I'm hoping against the odds that one of them is a male...

P.S. John, these pics are taken using the Canon 10D that my wife borrowed from work while my Canon Rebel is being repaired -- quite some difference in quality!

(Message edited by TJ on September 17, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
The larger one is enormous -- 20 cm -- though I think I read on Pin-pin's caresheet that they can reach 22 cm.

23082.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
The smaller and darker of the two is still pretty huge at 19 cm:

23085.jpg

P

pin-pin

The top lighter-coloured one (Taricha A) is female. The bottom one I am not sure.

The identifying traits for males (smoother skin, enlarged vent and cornified toe pads) only become very noticeable when they are breeding.

Easiest is to see if anyone goes into amplexus.
happy.gif

P.S. Those are some mighty sexy Tarichas there, Tim. Mind if I use these pictures for my website? I'll put the copyright on them since you didn't "watermark" them...*cough*.

(Message edited by apples on September 18, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
Pin-pin, go right ahead! I'm overjoyed to hear I might have a male
bowl.gif
Enlarged vent? you mean like an engorged cloaca? Like with C.ensicauda? I'll be on the lookout for cornified toe pads...

23177.jpg

John, I'm using a 28-135mm lens (w/ image stabilizer) with this test camera. Would have loved to have had access to this when I went to Okinawa! I'm definitely going to get a lens of this sort before making my next trip though.

I

isaiah

I was told males will have a dark bar across the vent. I have seen this in my newts.

P

pin-pin

I'm not exactly sure if the band across the cloaca for grans are a definite indication of sex, Uwe is a better authority on this.

This is a photo of what I mean by enlarged vent:

DSCN1388.jpg

Handsome male, isn't it? I'm pretty sure it is either T.torosa or T.granulosa. I lean more towards granulosa.

TJ

Reaction score
What a great-looking (and well-cloacaled) guy
biggrin.gif

Here's another pic of my Taricha harem:

23429.jpg

P

pin-pin

Heya Tim, very sexy harem that is.

Browsing the caherps.com site, I found a very clear shot of "cornified toe pads" by Gary Nafis (this is T.t.torosa, but all Taricha share this characteristic). Although OUCH, seems like someone is holding that poor fellow a bit too tight.

tttorosamvent.jpg

J

jonathan

I know it's a crime to bump a thread this ancient, but this is a really good thread. The only thing missing is the answer. Were A&B both female, or was B a male?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1