Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Book Review: Salamanders of the United States and Canada (Petranka)

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Salamanders of the United States and Canada
James W. Petranka
(Smithsonian Institution Press, 1998)
587 pages

This is the result of the first complete caudate survey in North America published since 1943. It covers the 127 species found north of the Rio Grande River. While the book itself states that there are some arguments about taxonomic status of quite a few subspecies, Petranka tends to avoid these issues and stick to what is generally agreed upon. He skips a lot of the ultra-detailed biology in favor of getting the basics down to help provide positive identification.

Each animal identified in the book has information on identification, systemics, distribution, habitat, reproduction,and ecology. A black and white photograph is also in place for each animal. A full color plates section is also included for many of the more common and beautiful species. Both the scientific nomenclature and the most commonly used common names are also provided. Also included is information for engineers describing conservation biology.

Interesting Highlights:

Introduction and Salamander Identification- From coastal grooves to nasolabial folds, this short section covers the basics of caudate identification. It very plainly demonstrates common practice in species identification.

Unisexual Ambystomatidae: This section covers in detail the various tiger salamander hybrids that exist in the wild. Quite a learning experience!

Full Color Plates: I like to call this the "drool" pages. 172 full color high resolution photographs of the most commonly found caudates in the United States.

Bibliography: It is like a species specific clearing house of every major caudate scientific paper pertaining to the subject matter. In itself, it is hours of reading and research.

Easy to read and coupled with a full bibliography of references, this book is a must have for anyone interested in caudates. It is indispensable for the enthusiast and professional field herpetologist alike! I would refer to this as a field guide, however, the sheer size and weight of this perfectly written book makes it a bit unweildy for pack material. New copies are a bit pricey, ranging up to around 70 USD, however used copies can be purchased for significantly less.

My only real complaint is that there is no field edition available. Personally, I would pay top dollar for a smaller, lighter weight version with water resistant pages I could drag around to every wet spot in the country.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Johnny!

It is currently available on Amazon new from $52.00 and used from $55.24 (weird, I know); I originally got mine on Amazon for about $20. When I don't like what I find on Amazon, I go to Alibris, but in this case their prices are no better.

This book is not just recommended, it's essential!

Attachments

• PetrankaSm.JPG
    PetrankaSm.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 579

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I watched the prices every day on Amazon until one showed up I liked. Took about three weeks for my cheapskate nature, but it was worth it.

I forgot to add in the review that almost every single university library I checked, and had checked, usually has at least one copy of this book.

In the United States, this is a good thing as most University Libraries are open to the public.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the United States, this is a good thing as most University Libraries are open to the public.

You think? I live around the corner from Vassar college, and they will only let me in during their students' break, and I have a PhD! They made me feel like a worm!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Well...that is Vassar for you...

Guess the ones around here are just happy to have someone in there that isn't studying corn!

;)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I love this book - put simply there is nothing like it for learning how species tick. However, I wouldn't want a field version of it - I find the Peterson field guide "Reptiles and Amphibians - Eastern Central North America" to be superb and the species are more up to date (which is odd considering Petranka is dated a year later).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1