Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is this an odd cycle? advice please

layna

Reaction score
So i understand the basics of cycling a tank, i thought i would be good at it this time haha (cycling my second tank)
The only thing that has thrown me is that when i tested the other day (api master test kit) i had;
Ammonia - 2
Nitrite - off the chart
NitrAte - 160 ppm

Is it normal to have so much nitrAte when the ammonia and nitrite are also still going through their process?

Ive tested again yesterday and ammonia was at 0 but nitrite is around 2ppm with nitrAtes just getting darker and darker

I guess my question is...Should i be worried about my cycle?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I suppose i should mention that in the first place i only ever added 4ppm of ammonia, and kept it topped up to 4ppm

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Your tank is cycled. Your ammonia and nitrite are both coming down while nitrate gets higher.

Do a water change, add just a touch of ammonia. If it disappears within a day, you're done!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1