High levels of nitrate- more regular water changes?

eloiselockyer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have had a young adult male axolotl (Smaug) for about a year now. Recently when testing water parameters I have found that the nitrate levels are very high (80ppm), but both nitrite and ammonia levels are at 0. I currently do a 20% water change once a week. Should I perhaps increase this to every 3 days until I can get the nitrate levels down?

Hello! I had a similar problem not too long ago with my axie tank. I'd recommend doing a 50% every day until the levels drop to at least 20ppm. I know it sounds like a lot, but it will be so worth it! When my nitrates were way too high, I did 2-3 50% partial water changes in one day! It was a lot of work, but my nitrates sat at about 10ppm after I had finished. Luckily, nitrates aren't as harmful as ammonia and nitrites, but they can cause damage in the long term. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back