Why won't our newts go in their water?

Hester

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We changed our marble newts tank to 1/3 aquatic 2 weeks ago, but to our knowledge none of them have entered the water.
We have a good filter and the water quality looks good...

...any ideas on why they're not keen on swimming?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Why wont our newts go in their water?

Would you be able to provide a photo of your set up ? How old are they too?
I have recently transferred my 3 to a more aquatic set up.They are just over a year old (from hatching). This is currently a large crate, with a land area consisting of 2 bricks, a dish of soil, stones and cork bark and a plant. The water area has a few stones and lots of water plants. I do not use a filter. Of the 3 , I have one male that spends most of the day in water. I feed them alternate days chopped earthworm in a small dish on the soil area. All feed here. In the morning I tend to find them all on the land area.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back