Red Markings

kevin

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Hi, I'm new to Axolotl's but I have some experience on other amphibians. I bought one today just over 3 inches (8cm) long and I am noticing red markings just behind the front legs.
He or she otherwise looks Ok foraging for food. I tried Tetra Prima until I buy some more appropriate food but he gulped it and spat it back out again.
So what can the markings be, or are they normal in young Axols?
Thanks, Kev.

Can you upload any photos, what colour is your axolotl?

Isn't that a tropical fish food?

If you can get earthworms they're the best food for axolotls. Otherwise try axolotl pellets or frozen bloodworm cube.

What is your tank temperature?

I had some blood worms left in the freezer and it ate! Quite good for the first day I think.
The pic is not that clear, cos the camera focused on the algae on the glass, but here it is.
79622.jpg

The temperature of the water is 15c.
So, any idea about the markings?

Internal organs, either liver or heart.

(Message edited by cloth on March 04, 2007)

I thought you meant on actual legs. Cloths right internal organs. They'll disappear as they get older and their skin becomes thicker and less translucent.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back