Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I've found some emergency food

layna

Reaction score
Just thought id let you guys know, because this has been a life saver for me!

I went to the pet store having not been able to source any daphnia and being unsuccessful with chopped up bloodworm, and found a product that is daphnia in jelly, it comes in little sachets and probably just saved my little axies lives.

It comes out like a lump of gunky pink stuff but ive found that if you put it in a little water and mix it up, it breaks up into tiny little mouth size bites for the little ones (they're 4 weeks now)

In know its best to have them on live food but if you find yourself like me in a situation where you cant get daphnia and they are too little for chopped up bloodworm (they kept swimming away no matter how little the piece) then i advise you to get this product from your local pet store.

Its right next to all the freeze dried food and water care products just on the shelf and doesn't need to be stored in a fridge or freezer

Anyway i just thought id mention it and maybe help a few others sometime if they are also struggling :wacko:

Morrison

Reaction score
Re: Ive found some emergency food

I'd bought that stuff for my guppies once but never thought about using it for my lotls. Genius!
When I bought it it was two years old... Weird pet store. Selling me rotting stuff...

layna

Reaction score
Oh hehe well i suppose if its in date its fine!

Yeah i thought i was going to kill them all because i couldnt find them food but then this stuff is tiny and you can see them eating it, plus they LOVE it :cool:

layna

Reaction score
Just an update really, my axies are doing well now and since ive switched their tank and put them on the jelly daphnia stuff ive had no more deaths :D

I managed to get hold of some live daphnia today although i have to say not a large amount.

Ive noticed the jelly stuff does give some of the baby axies floatation problems but i think thats because they are still babies and they may be 'blocked up' ect

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!