Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dead Skin Spotted on Axies' Tail

Vijay

Reaction score
Hello! I recently noticed a short of translucent flap hanging on my axis' tail. It looks like it could be dead skin but I'm worried that it might also be fungus. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could knows how I should treat this. Thanks!
-Vijay

Attachments

• IMG_2616.jpg
    IMG_2616.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 161

Giuseppe

Reaction score
Little hard to tell from picture but it looks like when the end of my axis tail tip grew back after it had been nipped off. I don't think it's anything to worry about

NexSocius

Reaction score
My 5yo wild gets this too, it’s like the tip rots, regenerates, is ok for a bit, and then repeats. I haven’t come across treatment for it, just make sure there’s nothing in the tank that is sharp, or tankmates that are nipping at it.
Also keep the water and tank clean so no nasty infection can get a hold :)

Vijay

Reaction score
Okay thank you all very much I hadn’t noticed anything sharp in the tank but I will be paying very close attention to see if there could be something hazardous.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1