Sick axolotl I don't know what to do

Punkusmagunkus

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So to preface this, this is not my axolotl and I've never had an axolotl before so I don't really know anything. So my mother decided to get an axolotl I guess didnt know much either she said I dont think he's doing well can you look at him so I did and it looks kinda like his gills have rotted off and he looks pretty skinny, from what I know he eats but is pretty inactive. He is housed alone in a 10gallon aquarium. Please any help will be appreciated

The basic rounds of questions we ask are:
What is the water quality? Ammonia levels, nitrite, nitrate and pH. A freshwater aquarium testing kit can be purchased to get these numbers if you don't have one. Local fish and pet stores will often run the tests too. Liquid tests and more accurate than strip tests.
What is the water temperature? Axolotls are a cold water species and need temperatures around 16C and 18C.
Was the tank cycled before you added the axolotl?
What is the diet? What are you feeding and how often?
Does the tank have a filter? What kind and is it buffered if it's creating a lot of current.

Axolotls are fairly sensitive to water quality issues, and most problems can be fixed by correcting water quality. It helps to know if your area has a lot of heavy metals in the tap water too, if you use tap water during your changes. There are water conditioners that have added elements to remove heavy metals if you suspect that to the problem. Most commonly on the forum the water quality issues encountered are high ammonia from an uncycled tank, or high temperature stress.

It's also nice to have a picture of the axolotl, to see body quality and such.

His nitrates are a little high gonna change the water, it has a small filter not too much movement. Nitrite and ammonia are I dont think it was cycled before adding him but she has had him for about a year. I know how to take care of fish but not axolotls. I attached some photos.

Attachments

• 20190103_230634.jpg
    20190103_230634.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 20190103_230641.jpg
    20190103_230641.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 107
He is currently at 19 degrees his water is about 6.5 ph and he eats blood worms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back