Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Albino Rana temporaria eggs-now hacthing

A

a

Hello, as the RAUK forum is temporarily down, i will continue here. I found these eggs last week, that had about 10% of the eggs being pure white, and a few which were sort of grey. Ive took a small bit of the clump indoors, and now theyre hatching!
Sorry for the bad quality of the pic, but you can clearly see 1 white one, i think the one at the top is also a white one. there are also a couple of grey ones in the pic.
13575.jpg

Ajfr0ggy

colin

Reaction score
Hi again...
thanks for keeping the thread going, what happened to RAUK anyway?

Very interesting, do you plan to rear them all the way through?

J

john

I don't think they're going to be albino A J, but good luck. Thanks for sharing the photo and I hope RAUK comes back up soon.

A

a

I think you're right John, Im pretty sure they wont be the pure white albinos. They have gone a lot darker now, all though the skin is still sort of clear, so the colour could be because of the organs being dark. They might end up as the orangy albinos.

J

john

Well if the eggs were all white in that clump of spawn the mother might have been albino - that would produce white eggs, but not white offspring - they would develop colour over time, though they'd still carry the albino gene. There might be more going on there though than albinism.

A

a

I see what you mean, and i suppose it would make sense. So is the initial colour of the eggs produced by the female?

AJfr0ggy

J

john

Yes - the eggs produced by albinos are also void of dark pigment since they come from the mother's body.

colin

Reaction score
this is very interesting, any online data about this John?

J

john

It's basic genetics given the fact that albinism is a simple autosomal recessive trait in amphibians. I don't know any specific links for it I'm afraid.

colin

Reaction score
I understand the genetics behind albinisim, but was more questioning the comments about the eggs, specifically...

'that would produce white eggs, but not white offspring - they would develop colour over time'

Am i not right in thinking that 25% of AJ's spawn was white and although the tadpoles are darker than white that they are still albinos?

Is this not xanthism?
sorry if i am confusing the issue
happy.gif
}

A

a

The mutation that these eggs wouldnt be as clear as a recessive gene, as there are the half way ones, and the majority of them were black
I would have though all of an albinos would be white . maybe its just a mutation that only affects the colour of the frogspawn, its no real disadvantage, so it could just be a mutation exisiting in my local population. Actually, one of my brothers friend says hes got the same sort of frogspawn, and im trying to pester to get some.

Ok, now that the frogs are sorted, check out this mutation of bufo bufo!
13917.jpg

Stunning jet black eyes, dark greyish skin that is almost clear underneith, and pale splodges.
Such a contast to the typical male, a light brown colour , with the bronze eyes

Ajfr0ggy

colin

Reaction score
gotcha.

cool toad btw, i have noticed up here that we seem to have two distinct races of toads as far as eyes are concerned... some ares have green/gold irises and some are red...

A

a

Cool, I've never seen any with bright yellow, like bofo viridis or my rococo toads (bufo paracnemis).

This must be an existing gene in he population, its the 3rd ive found (really annoying actually, as the other youngsters escaped before i got the camera!

AJfr0ggy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1