Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

giant tadpoles 2 of them

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I got 2 bullfrog tadpoles that are 4inches each. Actually 1 is bigger than the other he's more like 4.5 inches. I am currently keeping them in a cool room and feeding them pellets. These are some of them biggest tadpoles I;ve ever had. These arent the longest but the biggest as in fat. The biggest tadpole I;ve ever had was alittle over 5 inches. I'll try to put up some pics soon they have baby legs now very very small legs. They are morphing but at a very slow rate because of the tempurature. Does anyone know any good methods to keeping tadpoles??? I know that the bigger and stronger the tadpople the stronger the frog will be after morphing.

keithp

Reaction score
I know they like to eat crushed goldfish flakes, frog and tadpole bites, algae wafers, and when their back legs start to get large they might eat chopped up blackworms. I also heard boiled romaine lettuce is good too, but I never tried it.

I see no need to keep them at a cool temp though. They produce a lot of waste so keeping the water clean is essential. When their front legs pop out it's time to move them to a tank with water and some land, as young bullfrogs after being tadpoles tend to stay by the waters edge and practice hunting.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I also heard boiled romaine lettuce is good too, but I never tried it.

When I was younger and kept various tadpoles, I used to boil lettuce then freeze it in an ice-cube tray. The frozen cubes could be floated in the water for the tadpoles to nibble on. It seemed to work alright, although I'm sure there are better food options.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!