Waxworms - good climbers?

Liorah

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So, I've recently become desperate to find a food to interest my little girl. She's not underweight or anything, I'm just unnecessarily worried pretty much :p

Many people on here seem to have had great success with feeding wax worms to their salamanders, and I am planning on buying a bunch tomorrow to try them out. However, my new plan to try and interest her involves me leaving at least one out and about, free of the food dish to roam where it pleases. What are the chances of it climbing the wall's of Eve's aquarium, through the mesh, and into my room unhindered?

They won't be able climb glass - maybe the silicone seal in the corners. If you have a soft substrate like moss or soil they will burrow into it making it hard for your sal to find them.

I'm not familiar with the background to your feeding problems but you should try earthworms chopped to size and left in an upturned lid. Worm chunks wriggle long after being chopped and are irresistible to most sals. Salamanders are nocturnal and are most likely to feed/hunt at after the lights go out. Place these in the tank at night and count what's left in the morning.

Since your still haveing problems try placeing the worm chucks or wax worms with your salamander under it's hide area. This will help make you salamander feel safe.
I have a salamander I have never seen eat but I know it does cause the food vanishes and she gets nice and fat.

I wouldn´t leave waxworms in the tank. They´ll find a secure place, pupate and become adults.
Offer them with teezers or by leaving them in front of the salamander. The feeding response they get is usually so strong that the pickiest of caudates will venture out and snatch them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back