Sand as substrate

Aaron71w

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm about to put sand in my tank. I got it from the pet store and it's normal sea sand (I think). Is there anything I will have to do before I put it in the tank? If there is, can someone please tell me soon, before I put it in? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is sea sand, it may have crushed coral (I think thats right) in it which will mess with your pH levels. The best sand to use is childrens play sand. You will have to rinse out any dirt and cloudiness from it. The best way to do so I have found is to put how much sand you will need (maximum 2-3cm over the bottom of you tank to prevent gas pockets) in a bucket and use the hose to blast the sand. Then wait for it to settle and pour gentally out. Do this until the water pours out clear. I washed mine about 20 times before it ran clear.

Hope this helps,

Blaze

it turns out its not sea sand but this is the only sand i can get a hold of at the moment,should it be good enough:confused::confused::confused:

Attachments

• SANY0126.jpg
    SANY0126.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 351
Not too sure about the sand. But my axolotl tank has silica sand in it, and my axies seem to be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there a label on the sand when you bought it? Where abouts did you get it from?

Blaze

when i bought it, it had no label on it and it came from the pet store it was the finest sand they had

I am not to sure, you'll have to wait for someone else to chime in =]

Goodluck!

Blaze

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back