Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What to do with waxworms once they are about to morph?

webzdebs

Reaction score
Probably a bit of a silly question but what do you guys do just before your waxworms are about to morph?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Mmmm...nothing xD When i was culturing them i just let them morph into adults and used the adults to make new cultures and to feed my animals.

CherryBlossom

Reaction score
You can apparently wait till they morph and put them into the tanks. They aren't too active (apparently) when they have just literally morphed so they find it hard to fly about. So you could pop them in the tank for them to eat. (advice given to me by someone on here previously)

webzdebs

Reaction score
Well my gecko would probably manage one fine, but I'm not convinced the firebellies (which are my biggest newts) would manage to eat one, not until they got a bit bigger.

The idea of culturing them does sound like a good idea but when I have previously mentioned it to the other half he doesn't sound to keen on it :( might take a bit of work to convince him, but in his defense we already have 2 small tanks of crickets (not cultures just preserving live food for longer) and a small tank of mealworms (again not a culture), 2 small cultures of whiteworm - which we are trialing out to see how sucessful it turns out :)

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1