Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Test kit question.

legardored

Reaction score
i would go with the first one 'easy test' 5 in 1. it has all the major indicators you would need and it should give you a good idea how the tank is cycling. i use the tetra 6 in 1 strips that have Cl test in addition. these strips are fairly accurate but are generaly OK.

grius

Reaction score
legardored

What i can see there is no ammoni test in the first product on that list?

Eva

I cant get my hand on exact that produkt, but i will buy a testkit that dont use stripes instead. I want to be sure i get fair results.

Last edited:

legardored

Reaction score
the ammonia is first stage of three in the cycling process. in a cycled tank the levels of ammonia and nitrite (when the bacteria change the ammonia into nitrite) should be zero. a test for ammonia you would require only to follow the full cycle as if your nitrite levels are zero you can presume the ammonia to be zero as well.

so basically you can buy an ammonia test but that kit is enough to have good results to cycle the tank unless you want to make the measurement everyday and follow the whole cycle in detail.

have a read through the link below that describes the usage of the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test and has a good description of the full cycle as well.

Beginner FAQ: Test Kits

btw. the stips test are accurate enough for your purpose.

grius

Reaction score
I actullay bougth this one yesterday wich was said to have ammonia test in it, but that turned out to be wrong so i shall return this kit.. or not?.

Aqua Quick Test

However the first result was not easy to see as the colours dident match po good.

NO3=0

NO2=0

pH= 7,2 i think.

I have had this tank going with dechlorinated water for about 3days now, a fluval 105 filter, an airstone and a circulation pump. Fine sand as substrate, some stones and roots from another small tank.

But an ammonia test seem to make it all easier. I have read that beginner FAQ.

"btw. the stips test are accurate enough for your purpose"

What do you meen by that?

grius

Reaction score
file_3958.jpg

Its only a temporary tank during the time untill the larger one is build and cycled.. So not so much water to cycle (around 43Liter) 70x47cm with 13cm water dept. I shall also put in some plants.

Last edited:

legardored

Reaction score
you mentioned that you didn't want to buy tests with strips for the accuracy but i was saying that these are accurate enough for testing values in aquaria. i'm sorry if i misunderstood and confused you :)

and if you want to cycle the water you need something to produce the ammonia in the first place and the plants to finish the cycle utilizing the nitrates. in the link below is info how to cycle a tank.

Beginner FAQ: The Nitrogen Cycle

grius

Reaction score
you mentioned that you didn't want to buy tests with strips for the accuracy but i was saying that these are accurate enough for testing values in aquaria. i'm sorry if i misunderstood and confused you :)

and if you want to cycle the water you need something to produce the ammonia in the first place and the plants to finish the cycle utilizing the nitrates. in the link below is info how to cycle a tank.

Beginner FAQ: The Nitrogen Cycle

I understand, i just think accurate ´enought` dont sound safe enought :)?mean that i want to have so exact test value as possible to be 100% sure. But maybe they will do, i dont know a thing about those tests.

Im getting ammonia testkit to make it the way i have read, even if your way works as fine. Otherwize i will only get confused.

grius

Reaction score
I will have an ammonia test in only 2-3days that i just bought from a friend so i can start cycle soon :) And i think i keep the other Testkit too

grius

Reaction score
I was wonder. My dad talked to a friend that works with chemicals/water test etc. So he will give me tests for NO3-N02- pH and a bottle of pure ammonia. I was thinking about that kind of cycle, using ammonia instead for fish or food. And if i do exacly as this page says with 10gallon (to make it easy) i cant see any diference and maybe a faster cycle.

But If you dont recomend this method please tell me wy. If done careful, what is then the diference compare using food?

Cycling Your Aquarium, Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle: Start Cycling Aquarium Guide

Last edited:

legardored

Reaction score
so far i only cycled my tanks using the 1st method but the 2nd seems reasonable, as well. just make sure to do the tests regularly and watch the amount of ammonia drops :)

anyway, the only way to really speed up the cycling process is to you 'old' water from a cycled tank.

grius

Reaction score
I will try this and test just as it says on the page. Same amount water and temperatur with 3-5drops daily and then 2-3 depending on what the result says:) But that i have had it runing for 4days wount be a probleme?

legardored

Reaction score
no it is better acctually because you can be sure that any Cl has vanished.

before you add the ammonia do a first test. the readings should be zero. then you can try after a couple of hours you add the ammonia to see the results that should have clear ammonia reading.

keep us posted on the results as i've never seen anybody to cycle an aquarium like this and i wonder how long till you finish the whole cycle. it might take the same time as with the other methods :)

grius

Reaction score
Sounds good:)
I shall keep you updated. And hopfully i have a cycled tank in some weeks.

grius

Reaction score
Last edited:

ayushmhr

Reaction score
Hello.
I don't recommend using Ammonia Strips for Testing water of any type of strips. They are not accurate enough for testing aquarium water. But are perfect for Lab work. I have compared a liquid formula and the paper as well. the liquid will give you a perfect result.
I have been using API Master test kit to test my aquarium water. It contains all the test kits that you require. I purchase it from Amazon and cost me around $20 at the moment.
API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST
This kit is very much important in the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle.
You will not regrate buying this kit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!