Where do I find info on how to separate a tank

2gsom

Reaction score
Country
Australia
HI Everyone, I have a friend who is taking on one of my Juvenile axies and has a full grown one also. What is the best method to separate:happy: them in a large tank?? Thanks for your help.

You may be able to find a big enough breeding box to go in the big tank. They're boxes that hang onto the side of the large tank usually used if fish bare young but obviously the axolotl will outgrow it rather quickly.

I suggest to get Aqua-safe silicone that can be used underwater.
This way you just silicone in a plate of glass/acryllic and there you go!

If you use silicone, wouldn't it be hard, if not impossible, to remove it? Seems like a lot of effort to just separate some axolotls for a few months.

If you're looking for inexpensive alternatives, you can go to a hardware store and get some sort of mesh. Cut it to size, tape it at the top and use rocks to keep it down at the bottom.

I bought my axolotls a tank divider when I first got them, but it's a huge waste of money. It's a cheap piece of plastic, might as well just make one. Sure it won't look as good, but the divider itself doesn't look good. Anyway, it's only for a few months.

thanks all for your comments I will pass them on.

If you use silicone, wouldn't it be hard, if not impossible, to remove it? Seems like a lot of effort to just separate some axolotls for a few months.

If you're looking for inexpensive alternatives, you can go to a hardware store and get some sort of mesh. Cut it to size, tape it at the top and use rocks to keep it down at the bottom.

I bought my axolotls a tank divider when I first got them, but it's a huge waste of money. It's a cheap piece of plastic, might as well just make one. Sure it won't look as good, but the divider itself doesn't look good. Anyway, it's only for a few months.

I have my backgrounds siliconed into the tank, wich get removed in less than 10 minutes.
I have also once glued a little piece of glass (to hold some sand) in the tank, not too hard to get that out.

I once tried dividing a tank using this mesh method you mentioned. My sals figured out how to get around it in less than a day. If it has been working for you so far then it is probably fine but my A. lugubris seem to be experts at getting around any sort of barrier I attempt to implement.

I have also tried making a custom divider from a piece of acrylic (1/8 inch). Maybe it's just me, but acrylic is a really hard material to work with. Not saying you can't do it, just that it is not as easy as it sounds. Based on the amount of time I spent making it, I would just buy one if I had to do it again (It took multiple days and innumerable curse words :mad:). Then again, I wasn't cutting a square.

If anyone else has done this I would be curious to know how you cut the acrylic, because for me the internet recommended method of scoring it with a razor and snapping it did not work very well, nor did using a fine tooth hacksaw blade. It seems to me like a bandsaw would work if you did it slowly to keep the acrylic from melting, but I do not have access to one. I also doubt you would want to cut it with a hot knife because that would likely release toxic chemicals that would be difficult to get rid of, but for all I know that could be the industry method.

I used a condensation board (those plastic rectangular things you can use on top of your fish tanks to prevent fish getting out and to reduce the amount of heat that's lost from them) from an aquatics shop for £6. I just cut it to size with scissors and slotted it in. It worked perfectly for the three days I needed it :)

well they have seperaters that are meant for fish tanks.. mesh so water circulates and sturdy bracing and it clips to the top. i have one for my ten gal and it doesnt seem too bad

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back