Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Maggots in Microworm culture?

PrincessAxolotl

Reaction score
So i started a microworm culture and its been going great so far, Started up a newer one from the old on but did throw out the old one just in case mine didnt go well. Its been fine, millions of little worms for my newly hatched axies, But today i go in to start a new culture to give to my friend that owns a petshop bc she took alot of eggs off my hands bc i have too many axolotls to start raising another clutch, and i noticed what looks to be maggots/ fruit fly larvae in the mix with my microworms. Im wondering if they'll hurt the microworms i have atm and if it would hurt my axies at all. I have a group of older axies, around 3 in and have their arms and legs developed, Would they like these larger worms or would it be harmfull for them? Will the larger ones mess with the small microworms in a way i cant feed them to my newly hatched? And is it safe to start a new culture for my friend from this one? My friend hasnt ever raised axolotls and i really want to be able to help her with it in anyway so she doesnt go through the heartache i did with my first try so i dont want to hurt them on accident and seem like i dont know what im doing, But this is my first time using microworms, i usually use bbs but she doesnt have time for bbs what with all the other animals she cares for and i thought this would be alot easier for her. any help would be appreciated!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the sals would eat maggots too if they are not too big. In the future you can put a small piece of sponge through the airholes to prevent flies from getting in and laying eggs.
You can start a new culture from them, just remove some worms and start one. I don't think they are "contaminated" any more than any other creature living in soil with god knows what kind of variety of bacteria and microorganisms.
Also, maggots that I know only eat dead flesh, so I wouldn't worry about the eating your microworms. But that is just conjecture from the maggots I have known. Which will be the title of my autobiography, "Maggots I have Known."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1