Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Scientific Nomenclature

SilentBenjam

Reaction score
As a gardener i find the use of scientific names invaluable, not to be pretentious but because it is soooo much easier, although for different reasons to animals.
There are many creatures with the same common name, but some plants have many many common names.
So actually learning the scientific name is less intellectual than learning all the different common names.

Petersgirl

Reaction score
I feel most of the issues on this forum, although I love having the option to clarify my knowledge of scientific names - it does avoid a lot of confusion, although feel the pain of changing names! I recently read that A. mexicanum was previously Sirendum mexicana (c.1950). Even weirder, the same source argues that there has been debate as to how many types of axolotl there actually are.

Apologies for the one trick pony mentality on my part - I only have axxies.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
I've done research, and apparently the Four-toed salamander is one of the oldest species of Plethodontid (Even though most people already know that by now)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!