Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axie with only one gill?

Laaine

Reaction score
I had been waiting so long for this store in my city to get axolotl's in and finally they got some juveniles in! I got an albino one today, it was one of three juveniles that were in the tank. I noticed the other 2 axie's were missing their gills, the employee told me they had been nipping at each others gills. The axolotl I got was the only one that had any part of its gills left ... There is one full gill, and about 2 stumps and then there is nothing else. Do you think he/she is morphing? Or did the gills just get nipped off like the employee had said? Will they grow back if that is the case, or can I stop the morph process if that's what is happening? I do have another axie, about 8 inches long, very healthy, great appetite and she lives in her own 50 gallon palace. My new axie is staying in a 10 gallon facing my other tank so they can get used to each other and I can monitor the new one. Any suggestions though on getting his/her gills back? He/she is moving around, saw him/her go up to the surface and gulp some air... He/she also ate 2 earthworms no problem.

JessKB

Reaction score
If it has one full gill, it's not morphing. The gills would recede at the same speed. Axolotls can regrow gills, but from what I've heard, they often do not return to their original size. Personally, I wouldn't have bought an axolotl with one gill. A petstore owner doesn't deserve your business if they let their animals rip each other to shreds.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Larvae often try to eat each other, this occurance can be reduced with low stocking density, adequate hides and regular feeding, the only way to eliminate it is by growing them on to adult size in individual containers. The gills will probally grow back but keep an eye out for fungal infection. It may be a good idea to keep the adult axolotl out of site of the baby, smaller axolotls can become stressed by the presence of larger ones and though they are in different tanks im not sure an axolotls brain has the ability to figure that out. I used to keep juvys next to adults and i would often see the adults looking at them, whilst the juvys would sneak away when the saw that they were being observed.

oroxine

Reaction score
When I bought my three, two of them barely had any gills! (the supplier was keeping them in horrid conditions, however had bought a new one that morning hence why one is healthy) i was in a awkward position and couldn't back out, also I wanted to save two of these axies from their cramped clouded tank!!!

Anyway, my two with barely any gills were taking trips much more frequently to the surface (as they breathe through their gills and no gills = no air), but apart from that, no difference. Their regenerative powers are truly amazing and even after just 3 weeks I can see a noticeable difference :)

Keep them in cool clean water and they'll grow back not a problem :)

In the meantime, maybe think about investing in a airstone or live plants that break the water?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1