Question: How to select an axolotl? Morphology?

Kaisebon

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Brandon M
Felicitous salutations. Before I continue, if my thread is in the wrong forum, please amend it accordingly.

I was recently informed that the axolotls from Big Al's will be arriving either this week, the next week, or some other approximate time. In essence, close enough for me to start establishing questions. In this case, I would like to know how to select an axolotl.

First of all, I'll be selecting two axolotls. I'll ensure to keep them divided until they dismiss their cannibalistic stage. One will be leucistic, and the other will be wild type (I would have picked melanoid, but the employees stated that they almost never receive melanoid).

Now, for the questions. How should I make my decision on what axolotl to pick? My chief concern is that I've read somewhere that depending on how much cannibalism was embraced at a young age, the axolotl begins to develop a morphology that might render them not the most suitable for another tank mate. Could anyone please provide more information on cannibalistic morphologies or simply cannibalistic adults? How true is this information? Are there other morphologies to be vigilant about? Should I even be concerned about this?

If cannibalistic tendencies that carries into adult stage is a concern, are there any methods to determine the likelihood of an axolotl to become cannibalistic? For example, appearance? Would their personalities be influenced? Would a missing limb suggest that the axolotl is less likely to be cannibalistic, or would that not matter? Are there any other details that could suggest that an axolotl is cannibalistic?

Are there any other bits of information that you may suggest or recommend whilst I decide upon an axolotl, such as health, personalities, or even just your experiences? I've a feeling that simply picking the ones that feel right is the most likely action I'll take, but one could never know too much. :p

Edit: Oh, and if I was not clear, I have absolutely no experience with owning an axolotl. These two will be my first. :eek:

Last edited:
I haven't heard of a cannibalistic morphology before. There are a few adult biters, but I don't think there's any good way to tell whether a juvenile that bites will grow out of it or not. I don't think the bitten ones become vengeful or anything either. :)

If I were choosing an axolotl at a pet store, I'd look to see that it didn't have any open wounds and that it didn't seem too stressed -- gills not too far forward, tail straight rather than curled. They're quite resilient, but as a first-time owner you can do without worrying over any problems you can avoid. Hopefully the pet store knows not to put them in a tank with gravel, as that can become impacted in the digestive system and cause you trouble later.

Good luck with your new pets! Are you cycling a tank for them at all? It's not really necessary for their health to have a pretty environment, but lots of us enjoy putting together attractive tanks as well as having interesting pets inside them.

Thank you, I might have forgotten to decide upon the axolotl's constitution before making a decision. As heartless as it may seem, I would rather eschew from nurturing a weak axolotl and therefore adding extra stress upon me, especially since I'm a newbie. However, if there is an axolotl that I admire, and he or she possesses a missing limb, their missing limb should be hardly of any significance on account of their regenerative abilities.

As for your questions, I've been preparing for an axolotl since early September, and thenceforth have cycled a tank which had completed its nitrogen cycle by now. And yes, I do enjoy embellishing my possessions, especially if I know something alive (that I could discern) would be thriving in. :p If you would like to view my tank as of September 15, I have submitted pictures in my photo gallery and blog. It really doesn't appear much different since then, asides from another minnow companion for my lonesome fish, and the fact that my water is a little greener now. ;) I have also recently purchased Java Moss, but that is growing in a bucket at the present.

If they have morphed because they were canibilistic doesn't make them more likley to be caibals. Their heads become wider and more shovel like, but if they are well fed and kept in the right conditions with plenty of hiding space, they shouldn't be more likeley to snap at their tank mates than the others.Which does happen sometimes regardless of the shape of their head. They just snap at whatever moves in front of them. The shovel head doesn't mean they seak out other axolotls to eat, i think it would probably couse a little more damage though since they have morphed so they can fit moere in. The mophology isn't very noticable anyway.

In essence to what you are saying, their behaviour remains unaltered, simply that they will inflict more damage if they do manage to bite their tank mates? Are there any photos that compares the shape of a cannibalistic morphology to a non-cannibalistic morphology?

yes! i haven't really seen any photos of direct comparrison but i'm doing a water change and a tank clean out so i can take some phonos of mine if youd like. I have one with a morph head ond one with a normal

My apologies for the late response, but yes, that would be wonderful.

In other news, the axolotls have arrived in Big Al's yesterday, therefore I'll most likely be purchasing it either tonight or tomorrow. Thank you everyone for your help. Of course, I still wouldn't mind any last minute comments.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back