Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Help with water filter/pump

dazm2020

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'd just like to no how you have your water filter set up I've got the spray bar on mine so the water isn't moving very much but my axolotls likes to lie under it where there is a little bit of movement.
Do yous have yours so there is alot of flow In the water or a little?
Many thanks
Pics may help of yours if u don't mind
Darren :D

Chirple

Reaction score
Axolotls like pretty calm water, so you don't want *too much* current - so only a little bit is okay. :)

I use a sponge filter as well :

tumblr_lypdo5s6An1qk43ago1_1280.png

It's hidden back corner on the right side of the picture. It's very nice and I just squeeze it out in clean water when I am cleaning (make sure to use dechlorinated water). The filter top pops off very easily and the sponge just slides off the peg it's on.:)

Also, I personally enjoy the gentle bubbling noise, my tanks are in my bedroom and I find it very peaceful.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As long as your axolotl can get out of the current, and the tank is predominantly still, I wouldn't worry about it sitting under the filter. Axolotls are generally lazy critters, and it's natural for them to want to sit where the water is freshest and most oxygenated.

dazm2020

Reaction score
Ok thankyou everyone that helps I'll just leave it as it is. She is fit and healthy aswell so I'm happy
Thanks again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1