Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much & when?

loveaxie14

Reaction score
-Feeding axies?
since i'm new to being a axie owner i havent got into the 'axie routine' yet & have been worrying that im feeding them too much or too little :rolleyes:
so my axies were born 4th may so they're just over 2months old now, how much should i be feeding them/should they be eating and around what time would be best?, these are probably really easy questions but i just need a guide, thankyouu! :wacko:

Dragonteen

Reaction score
-Feeding axies?
since i'm new to being a axie owner i havent got into the 'axie routine' yet & have been worrying that im feeding them too much or too little :rolleyes:
so my axies were born 4th may so they're just over 2months old now, how much should i be feeding them/should they be eating and around what time would be best?, these are probably really easy questions but i just need a guide, thankyouu! :wacko:
it depends on the size of the food
pellets are good, but make sure your axi is eating them, and if not, remove the pelets beucse they go moldy very fast. if i remeber correctly, when feeding them pelets, you give them afew everyday.

i've heard though earthworms are the best. they have lots of protein and are a healthy choice. the bigger the worms, the less you need feed your axolotl (eg, if you feed them a large worm every time, i would go with one every two days or a normal sized worm once a day).

don't feed them meal worms! i lost my Axolotl becuase i fed her meal worms everyday. it's like eating nothing but mcdonalds or KFC. it's not good for them, and they have been known to bite axi's throats and mouths, which can lead to infections. also, Axolotl's can't digest thier outer shell. if you do want to give your axolotl mealworms though, it should olny be every now and then and you have to cut off the worm's head before hand.

i have also heard of people feeding minced meat and other similar things to thier axolotls. i couldn't tell you anything about this though.

i hope this has helped :)

DeCypher

Reaction score
2 months old? As much as they can fit in their little tummies! They are feeding machines, they will never stop eating! I feed my babies once every morning, and if they're a little frisky I'll feed them again at night.
Good food for the lil ones: chopped worms, brine shrimp, bloodworms, pellets, and blackworms.
I just feed them a balanced diet of frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, with occasional pellets.

millerj76

Reaction score
Hi Tayla, how much you feed them is really a question of how many you are feeding, i have raised axolotls, and am currently raising some also. I have five babies(2 months old) in each container, 6 containers, i change their water every night, in the morning (9am) i split 2 cubes of frozen bloodworm into 6 peices, 1 piece for each container, then around 7-8 pm i do the same, i then change their water at night so they have good quality water for at the least 12 hours, after the morning feed i will clean as much debris/waste from the containers, with a syringe. Thats my routine, may not be the same as everybody's, but i have had no deaths or casualties, and the babies are all growing well. Hope this helps you, if you only have one or two, then you could probably split a frozen cube of bloodworm into four to make 2 days worth of feeds, and then if they are eating it all just add more.

loveaxolots

Reaction score
hello, well one way if you know they are hungry is by sticking your hand in the tank and they will start nipping at your hand. if so you can feed them pellets or earthworm, bloodworms and so on....if like acouple months old feed them half of a worm so it would be easier for them to eat. good luck!:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1