Earthworms hid!

tumptyteapot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ho hum,
I put 4 earthworms in the tank this morning, one got gobbled up, the others slunk away in to the many hiding places.
My axolotls don't seem the be the brightest in the world, do you think they will hunt them out or will the worms just rot under something? I don't want to be disturbing the tank to get them out if I can help it.

Earthworms will usually survive for a few days under water but they may stay hidden in the substrate until they drown, which will be a problem. Decaying earthworms in a tank are bad news so if I were you I'd get hunting. Ideally you should invest in a long pair of feeding forceps with which can keep ahold of the worm until the axolotl has eaten it. They are also handy for plucking out escapee worms before they bury into the substrate.

oh poo, it has a sand substrate, I'll have a nose around in a mo, I know which direction they went in, thank you!

I know what a nightmare that can be, lost earthworms are not fun! But as said previously, you don't want them upsetting the balance in your tank and fouling the water so it's probably best to find them. I tend to hand feed mine earthworms as then I know what has been eaten. If its not been eaten...it's still in my hand and not off causing havoc in my tank! Hope they don't cause you too much trouble!

thank you, I'll chop them up next time, I found another, one was eaten and the other two were small so hopefully got eaten too. I've moved everything from one side of the tank but I'll do it again tomorrow just in case and do both sides, I need to clean the filter anyway and a bucket load of water change would be a good idea too. The Axies seem to quite like that the tank has moved around a bit, I gave them a bit more space to get around a plant pot and moved a rock and they seem quite interested, or maybe I'm just projecting what I want them to think :)

Aww bless them! I tend to move my tanks around every so often. Keeps it interesting for the bubbas and not to mention the build up of gunk that can go missed behind things! Glad you sorted the earth worms out!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back