Long toed salamander help

Newtothis33

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I live In Washington state and I’m new to amphibians and seeking some knowledge. I found a baby salamander in my koi pond while cleaning it. It was in larvae stage gills and all, I put It in a small cricket tank but I read Somewhere they need at least 20 gallons so I bought a 29 gallon tank. When I put it in the new tank it had a lot of water (since I wasnt Sure if it was aquatic) then a couple days later it’s gills were gone! Freaking out, not wanting it to die I did Massive research and found out it went into metamorphosis and it was actually a long toed salamander. I’m in the process of completely rearranging the terrarium to fit the long toed salamander lifestyle (moss, coconut husk substrate, wood, rocks and a water area) . My girlfriend wants to name it but I have no idea how to determine sex? Can anyone help? And possible tips for best care for this little guy/girl?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back